Reverse DNS record Change NOT FORWARD NSlookup
buhdakahn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I need a way to change my reverse DNS record so that my remote security package can connect when it does a reverse lookup. I am not refering to forward lookup I need a way to change the reverse. I.e. If I have a dns record out there for MYSITE.com pointing to my Verizon ip of 123.12.123.12 and my connection packages does a PING -a 123.12.123.12 and its comes back with 123-12-123-12.tampa.verizon.net instead of MYSITE.COM. The package will fail authentication.

Or let me guess I have to upgrade to somethign else and pay more money for somethign that should have been included?

Re: Reverse DNS record Change NOT FORWARD NSlookup
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As you likely have a residential account utilizing dynamic IP, you will want to read your terms of service which prohibits the operation of any "server" on your connection.   In short, you don't own the address space to which your account is assigned (and in fact this address will frequently change).    Unlike forward DNS (xyz.com), reverse PTR (.ARPA) space is assigned to the owner of the address space -- which in this case is Verizon.

Now, if you want to upgrade to a business class service with static IP -- it is my understanding that this an available offering to those customers.

buhdakahn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Amazing I don't own the right to IPV4 schema but yet  we paid for the intial system with our tax dollars and you have that much control over it . The concept of IP schema for IPV4 is owned by us. Just becasue you are a provider should not give the right to restrict as such. Seems CLID(s) Find anyway to nickle and dime the customer to death but are never held accountable.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is unfortunately something that requires a Business account with a Static IP. From there, you have to play the game of getting Verizon to change the PTR address for you. A Dynamic account will never have something like this done. Some smaller ISPs that used to be in operation (the ones who were oriented for the technically savvy) who resold DSL/Cable service used to actually give people Static IP addresses instead of Dynamic IPs, and allowed those people to set their own Reverse DNS if they really wished instead of the default name the ISP would give.

While it's unfortunate that the IP Address system was funded for by tax dollars way back when, I still have to pay my dues for having a few IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on my web server. No complaints, but I do get to set whatever record I wish to any of those IPs at will.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have subscribed to a residential service ... and you are getting what you paid for.

Numerous large enterprises (and even some smaller businesses) have registered address space thru ARIN (or RIPE or APNIC or whatever address registry is appropriate) and contract for service with a provider without allocating address space from them and instead direct routing their address space.  I work for such a large company where we manage 4 class-B and approximately 200 class-C routable networks (although we don't route all of them to the internet).  We are trying to convert some of them to RFC-1918 space where we don't interface with carriers or government entities that mandate the use of routable space -- so that we could be good internet citizens and return our unused space -- but that's unlikely to happen unless or until we make significant IPv6 progress.

The complexity of managing this environment, handling the BGP peering and routing, autonomous system registration, address space delegation, etc. is non-trivial and consumes numerous well compensated network engineers.

If you want to pay for a business account with a static IP which includes the services of reverse IP address delegation (because at a minimum, you need a static address for this), you can have this.   You are in essence, paying a portion of those network engineers salaries to manage the address delegation and routing for your address at that point -- something that the overwhelming majority of the residential consumer space neither wants nor requires and most certainly doesn't want to pay for.

Of course, you always have the right to become your own internet service provider, request free allocation of address space from ARIN (although IPv4 space is increasingly difficult to request due to running out of addresses), negotiate peering relationships with upstream providers, and contract for connectivity between yourself and those providers to route your address space onto the internet.  Something tells me however that getting the proper type of internet account relationship with your provider (i.e. a business account) is going to significantly cheaper.