Revision I router connectivity issue with LG Blu-Ray player
afulk

I just replaced my Actiontec MI424WR Revision D router with the Revision I in an effort to boost speed and range in my house.  By and large, it has worked great -- it connects well with the default WPA2 security to everything that my old router did -- an iMac, an iPad and two iPhones -- EXCEPT my LG BD670 Blu-Ray player.  When I step down the security to WEP on the new router, then it connects to the LG just fine.  But stepping down to WEP drastically reduces the speed of the wifi, which was the entire point of upgrading the router to begin with.  

Under WPA2, the LG can find the network, successfully connect to it, but cannot get further than that.  It can't find an IP address using Dynamic IP, and entering a Static IP gets me no further.  I have tried everything I can think of with the router itself -- turning of the firewall and, when that didn't work, creating a DMZ host for the static IP I inputted into the LG.       

Not sure what else to do at this point.  I can't find anything specifically from LG that says the Blu-ray player is WPA2-compatible, so it may simply not work with that security protocol.  Anyone have any ideas about this? 

Thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
Re: Revision I router connectivity issue with LG Blu-Ray player
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the  LG BD670 Blu-Ray player should accept upto 32 character WPA2 encryption.   Are you more or less than that?   

sorry 32 characters, not bits.  So it should technically do upto 32 characters 

0 Likes
afulk

I have a 16-character WPA2 password.  It's accepting that fine -- it's just not able to obtain an IP address, either via dynamic or static input.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well I would pull it up on your TV Screen.   

Press Menu > customer support > my wireless network 

Verify that nothing got transposed. 

if you're 100% confident, no if's and's or but's that you are using the right password, then I HAVE seen cases where the password won't take due to wifi interference.  It happened to me with my IPAD and also my PS3's. 

So it's worth a shot. 

You can change wifi channels in the router,  open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

0 Likes
afulk

Unfortunately, this didn't make any difference -- the LG can find and connect to the access point without a problem, but cannot obtain an IP address via Dynamic IP or recognize the IP address I input with Static IP.  Thoughts about what other issues there might be? 

0 Likes