Room has two coax outlets, are they both valid and usable?
schmoe76

I have FIOS tv, internet, and phone.  Currently my router and set top box are in separate rooms.  I am thinking of moving my router to the same room as my set top box.  The room with the set top box (and all rooms for that matter) has two coax outputs.  Are both those outputs valid?  The top coax output is already connected to the set top box.  Can I simply connect the router to the bottom coax output?  Or do I need to split the top outlet?

Thanks...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Room has two coax outlets, are they both valid and usable?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@schmoe76 wrote:

I have FIOS tv, internet, and phone.  Currently my router and set top box are in separate rooms.  I am thinking of moving my router to the same room as my set top box.  The room with the set top box (and all rooms for that matter) has two coax outputs.  Are both those outputs valid?  The top coax output is already connected to the set top box.  Can I simply connect the router to the bottom coax output?  Or do I need to split the top outlet?

Thanks...

Try it.

If the router gets a WAN address the it works.

alternatively try moving the STB to the other connection, if you still have TV then both connections are live and you can move the router.

If it doesn't work you can use a splitter on the exiting connection that the STB is on.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@schmoe76 wrote:

Thanks...

Try it.

If the router gets a WAN address the it works.

alternatively try moving the STB to the other connection, if you still have TV then both connections are live and you can move the router.

If it doesn't work you can use a splitter on the exiting connection that the STB is on.

0 Likes
schmoe76

Duh!  Why didn't I think of that?

A former boss of mine used to talk about the bird of stupidity.  Every once in awhile, the bird of stupidity sits on your shoulder and you need somebody else to come and chase the bird away.  Thanks for chasing the bird off my shoulders...

ps The bottom coax outlet didn't work.  Splitting the top coax outlet worked great.

0 Likes