Router Password: asks if I want to update saved password
artichoke2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to log into my router, and I'm not sure what model the router is, if it matters.

I'm using User Name: admin

Password: I've tried everything.  My WEP Key, my ESSID (both from the back of the router), various passwords I use normally ...

Sometimes in response the login page just says "Login failed, please try again:"

But other times, it gives the same "Login failed, please try again:" message but also pops up a window with a question: "Update saved password for "admin" ? "

Even if I say yes to update it, I still can't log in.  It doesn't prompt me for a new password, and I don't know what it's updating too, and I haven't had any better luck guessing that.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Re: Router Password: asks if I want to update saved password
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Try the Serial Number listed on the router. Verizon made a change a while back that forced that change to any router using the then-default "password" or "password1" for security reasons.

Although, if your browser is asking to update an existing password, you may have it saved. When you enter "admin" does the password automatically fill in?

0 Likes
Re: Router Password: asks if I want to update saved password
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@artichoke wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to log into my router, and I'm not sure what model the router is, if it matters.

I'm using User Name: admin

Password: I've tried everything.  My WEP Key, my ESSID (both from the back of the router), various passwords I use normally ...

Sometimes in response the login page just says "Login failed, please try again:"

But other times, it gives the same "Login failed, please try again:" message but also pops up a window with a question: "Update saved password for "admin" ? "

Even if I say yes to update it, I still can't log in.  It doesn't prompt me for a new password, and I don't know what it's updating too, and I haven't had any better luck guessing that.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Reset the router to defaults by pressing and holding for 10 secs the reset button on the back of the router.

Then login with user id admin and you will be prompted for a new password of your choice - remember it.

0 Likes