Router acting strange
ebanzuela
Enthusiast - Level 3

I seem to be having a problem of intermittent loss of connectivity at night up to the early mornings.  When I run tracert to any outside site it stops entirely on my side so I figure this is a persistent router issue.  It gets resolved after I reboot or power cycle the router.  This has been going on for about a week and it has never happened before in my 2 years with the service.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this further?  Sometimes it gets bad enough that I cannot log into the router at all, telling me my login session is already maxed out to 5 connections.  Very strange.

MI424WR-GEN2

Version F

0 Likes
Re: Router acting strange
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Do all connections drop when this happens, or just one machine.  Maybe instead of rebooting the router, you should reboot the PC first, and see if that reforms the connection.  

Also is it wired or wireless?  if it's wireless, then it could be a wireless interference issue.

Worse case scenario before you exchange it at a store, is to Reset your Actiontec MI424WR router to the factory defaults

You can also try to reset the BBU which resets your whole houses connection (phone internet and tv)

0 Likes
my9cats
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having a similar problem,

After two  years of no problems, rebooting the router

has become a daily (sometimes twice) event.

I wonder if I need a new router?

Do we make the determination to return it or does Verizon?

0 Likes
paloma6479
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem and I think I've finally fixed it.  If you're using PPPoE and not DHCP, my solution might help.  http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Intermittent-FIOS-Connection/td-p/454717

ebanzuela
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally have time to troubleshoot this further.  It has become a daily event this week. 

The router basically becomes unreachable and I have had to power cycle to get it working again.  I still have the same WAN IP address for the past month or so.  My router is set to DHCP with PPPoE disabled.  When I check it says the firmware is up to date.

0 Likes
labooge
Enthusiast - Level 1

We experience the same problem. Our internet service was reliable then in the past month or so connections would drop and we need to reboot the router to resolve. We probably reboot 4-5 times a day. 

Router firmware is up to date. We use DHCP. Would love hints on what else to do. It seems like something has changed. I'm the only one who manages our router and I don't think I've made any changes. 

0 Likes
ebanzuela
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, it seems very strange.  I have tried restoring to defaults and even forced the latest firmware update to install again, heck I even tried to enable PPoE 2 but it could not connect.  Just a few minutes ago, it happened again.

I think I'm going to try to get the router replaced but I find it disturbing that other folks are running into the same issue.  I hope you all have better luck and find a good solution.

0 Likes
newjersey1

So I've had FiOs for 2+ years now, and these last 2 months have been hell with my internet. For no reason, many times while I'm currently using the internet, the router just stops getting an internet signal, and I have to reboot/powercycle it. I'm doing this like 5 times a day now, and it's just unacceptable. 

Once in a while the reboot won't work and I have to call support to 'reset' the box from their end and then it works fine. This call takes 30+ minutes between the robot command prompts, being put on hold, getting walked through the same steps everytime, etc. 

For 2 years I never had a single blip of service problems. Before last month I don't even know the last time I rebooted our router. Our service has been excellent aside from these months of June/July. 

Now I've talked to several different tech people at Verizon...some of them say the wiring in my house has to be replaced (no, my house is less than 10 years old and the internet works excellent when it works). Some said maybe I have too many splitters (no, I've even connected the box to the very first coax line in our house with 0 splits and this still is happening). Some say I have too many boxes (5 STB's, 1 DVR, 1 Digital Adapter - never a single problem with any of them).

I've had a VZ tech come out here 3 weeks ago, he tested all the connection from the white box, from the coax line, and from the street - they all checked out fine. The problem is not with me. I can't be rebooting or powercycling my internet 5x a day. I can't be calling VZ support all the time to do a reset. There has to be an underlying issue here - and I don't think it is with me.

What's the deal Verizon?

- Bill

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

maybe it's just the router,  did they replace that while they were out there?

0 Likes
ebanzuela
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got a new router and it just happened again as I type.  This router is up and running less than 48 hours.  Trace routes are google.com, ms.com simply won't complete.

Either there is some kind of outage is going on or there is something else messing with the router.

0 Likes