Re: Router limiting outbound traffic?
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I do not think this issue is due to the sites you go to, because I have tested every possible site that I can upload to, and it is impossible to upload to any of them at more than about 15% of your promised FIOS speed.   I did see an increase in actual upload speed after upgrading to 50/50, which would seem to indicate that the limitations are on Verizon's side, not the other sites.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could be something in the browser, flash, etc.  And if you quoting byte not bits, these speeds sound common for a lot of software. 

0 Likes
darrkowitz
Enthusiast - Level 1

The reason I believe that it is the router is that I performed two tests.

The first test was that the source and destination were both with the local LAN (all behind the router).  In this case, data transfer was a near LAN speeds between source and destination.

The 2nd case is where I used the same source and destination with in the LAN, but I forced the path through the WAN port of the router (router now in the loop).  So the router is now in the equation but nothing else beyond the router, i.e.  before the first Verizon local edge router.  The data transmission in this case is where I am hard limited to 425,800 B/s - well below the rate I can achieve via the use of ftp transfers. 

As a corallary test, I had a friend set up a PC to be used as the data destination outside of the router, and again the same best transfer that could be obtained was the 425,800 number.

Due to the nature of my test (stemming from the application I am using), I need multiple PC's within the LAN, so just connecting a single PC connected to the ONT won't suffice, I need to build/buy a different router to do that.

Quote from A-Phish:  "The router doesn;t know or care what speedtest site you go to.   To me it sounds like you're being throttled by the site you're going to"

It is not the site, but the port used that is being used is where the throttling is occuring.  I hope you are not saying that packets can't be filtered or traffic shaped based upon port? 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't commented recently because I don't think I understand your test.  Particurlarly the secont case

• The 2nd case is where I used the same source and destination with in the LAN, but I forced the path through the WAN port of the router (router now in the loop).  So the router is now in the equation but nothing else beyond the router, i.e.  before the first Verizon local edge router.  The data transmission in this case is where I am hard limited to 425,800 B/s - well below the rate I can achieve via the use of ftp transfers. 

You forced what to go through the router but not beyond?  Normally all traffic to the router is going to go outbound unless you are switching between the wired, wireless or MOCA networks which have to go through the router.

Note I am retired, but 4 years ago my old company needed my help.  I was unloading some very large files (giga byte sizes and special protocol not ftp or html)over my 35/35 FIOS line and was hitting over 3.5 mBps (about 28 mbps) for long periods of time.

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

The solution to this problem is to use NGINX, not IIS or Apache, and to completely reset windows 7's TCP/IP stack to default. Do NOT use verizon's speed optimizer. I had this problem for years and it's since been fixed now. It took me months to diagnose the issue.

I also noticed that upgrading to Windows 8.1 for whatever reason, fixed the problem as well.

darrkowitz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Click,

You are spot on.  I switched to the light-weight Abyss Web server and wa-la, the uploads jumped by a factor of 10 immediately.

You are the man!  So it is not Verizon's fault as I erroneously claimed, it was crappy web server software.

0 Likes
PhilBr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm really curious about this as well. I am struggling to get fast performance over 1 connection. I need multiple outbound connections to saturate my 50/50 internet speeds.

Speedtest always shows great performance figures, the issue starts when I try to send files.

Basically, I have FileZilla ftp server. And I only use it to share videos of the family with my parents and other family members. I have noticed that if people connecting to my ftp (using filezilla client) their speeds are roughly 300-400kb/sec if they are on another ISP and roughly 700kb/sec if they are also a fios customer.

The internet speeds of my family members vary anywhere from 30mbps to 120mbps. What I noticed in each situation, is that I could split a file into multiple archives, or just have them download more than one file at once and each connection would go at the 300kb/sec and only after 7-8 connections all going at this same speed (300kb/sec) would the bandwith start to saturate.

I also tried using torrent software to create my own torrent and host the torrentserver locally and distribute my videos via my private torrent. Performance wasn't any better and since I didn't want to mess around with torents I just deleted the software and closed all the network ports required for that setup. Again, I'm not trying to distribute stuff to many. I just want to send some movies i shoot of the family with my parents and cousins.

Right now, the only 'workable' solution is to split the movies into multiple rar archives and they re-create them on their end.

I have my actiontec router connected to my ONT via a Cat6 cable. I'm not using the COAX bridge for internet traffic. That's only for tv guide and ondemand.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

0 Likes