Router settings
kimbo_g

Recently I had to reset my Linksis router back to factory settings and now my internet is extremely slow and intermittent.  Can anyone help me with the settings that need to be put into the router?

0 Likes
Re: Router settings
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Do you have one of the FIOS routers too (for example the Router: Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2)?

#2 If so, which FIOS router do you have?

#3 In the Linksys, did you setup some kind of wireless security ( WEP OR WPA )?

0 Likes
kimbo_g

1) I do not have a Verizon router (I didn't get one when I upgraded to Fios)

2) N/A

3) WEP encription (It's a WRT 110) with 2 wireless USB adapters (WUSB100)

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 If UPnP is turned on it the router, and unless you have at least two game consoles behind this router, turn off UPnP in the router.

By game console, a special type of computer with no keyboard or mouse (and it/they are usually connected to a TV).

#2 For testing reasons only, change the router to use WPA for your wireless security. WEP can be hacked in about 1 or 2 minutes.

0 Likes
kimbo_g

Ok, I turned off the UPnP and switched to WPA-Personal. It seems to be connecting okay now, time will tell if the speed is consistant, it has been intermittent the past couple of days.

I thought there was another setting or address I had to manually enter, but I may be mistaken.  It has been a while since I spoke with linksys or verizon support.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If that does not make the connection stable (time tells you speed is not consistant), you could define the DNS Server(s) that you are to use.

#1 To do that, go to Setup -> Basic Setup.

#2 Where it has: Static DNS #1, Static DNS #2, Static DNS #3 - you would enter in the DNS Servers there.

#3 As to what DNS Servers to use:

a) I would recommend getting the tool from http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

b) Download it and run it.

c) Click on Run Benchmark.

d) Make sure that Sort fastest first, is selected.

e) Wait until the test is done.

f) Select at least two from the top of the list that is shown on your computer.

g) Useless desired, do not select the Orange colored DNS Servers

http://www.grc.com/dns/operation.htm

^^

0 Likes