Router web password field duplicates keystrokes
Kataw
Enthusiast - Level 1

When entering characters into the password field, they are duplicated. Why would this happen?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router web password field duplicates keystrokes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's a "security feature" unique to the Actiontech routers.  Ignore it and type your password normally.

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's a "security feature" unique to the Actiontech routers.  Ignore it and type your password normally.

Enjoy!

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

My method is to look at the keyboard, and not look at the screen,  when entering the password.  That prevents natural confusion when seeing the security measure at work duplicating the keystrokes.

Stevenrowe6
Enthusiast - Level 1

A type of Obfuscation, that allows for more security for the Admin password. First, you could never tell your browser "remember the password for this site", because the browser only sees the password you're suppose to enter. Second, God forbid, that you should have a keylogger running under you, however that would also be outwitted. 

Malicious minds that plot all kinds of internet anarchy, have made it necessary to obfuscate almost all of our source code to protect it from reverse engineering, malicious code insertion, and IP theft, so I'm not surprised to hear that's it's filtered it's way down to the router login screen. (though it's kind of sad).

I still remember having to flip dip switches on an 8086 before I typed in my 1000 line basic program, so I could play the game it contained. And later, how no-one secured their routers, even though the option was available. Those were the good old days, but I wouldn't go back for the world!

For those curious types, there are those simple utilities out there that will reveal what's under those little black dots.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Enjoy!

More properly you should say Verizon routers as it occurs on my Westell router too.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

ITs not just Verizon routers.  I've seen it on other routers and other devices.

0 Likes