SMTP Port 25 blocked to my own relay server?
Pete65
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

I am a noob to this forum. So dont smake me to hard.

I have the Verizon Wireless/router/modem I was looking around in there to allow me to use my hp scanner to connect to a smtp server across the wan. The firewall on the other side is allowing my traffic in so I should be able to hit the relay server (NOT VERIZON'S) but I have my own in a remote location but I cannot get it to work communicate on port 25.

If I open port 27 ESMTP on the destination and change the smtp server to use it then I can telnet ipaddress 27 and I would get the HELO response but not the case with port 25. Of course you maybe thinking "Why dont you set your scanner for 27"? Well I wish I could or I would not be in this forum 🙂

Its an HP 4100MFP scanner and there is an option of "SMTP" i enter the SMTP gateway address and thats it no other option.

So I will assume its blocked even though I want to hit my own smtp relay server ip ? I suppose my only other option is to put a firewall in and just vpn to the destination and be done with it. Anyhow I wanted to ask the group in this forum.

I have seen a few things on SMTP before I posted but not exactly what I wanted, it seems folks want access to smtp period but I just want access to my own SMTP server in a remote location.. So is it possible on port 25 or am I over looking something in my verizon mia424wr.

I assure you its NOT the destination.

thanks for reading. 

Re: SMTP Port 25 blocked to my own relay server?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

No ports are blocked on business accounts with static IP addresses. 

or port 80 info, see: »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What about Port 80 - is it blocked?

Outbound port 25 has been blocked on and off in the past, most recently blocked again effective 6/1/10. Inbound port 25 is currently open. Even if port 25 is not blocked, Verizon's dynamic IP addresses are listed in both the Spamhaus Policy Block List (PBL) and MAPS DUL. The PBL is/can be used by mail exchange servers (MX's) to reject connections from these addresses. Thus, for the purpose of running a mail exchange server port 25 is effectively blocked. However, a mail server can be run that utilizes Verizon's authenticated SMTP just like your mail client would do.

As always, YMMV. It has been reported that sometimes a port which should be blocked by standard Verizon policy has instead been left open. Which ports are blocked may change in the future.

Re: SMTP Port 25 blocked to my own relay server?
Pete65
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks I guess that answers it

"No ports are blocked on business accounts with static IP addresses"

Argh..

Essentially find another solution or way around it at least for port 25? So I suppose I will build a VPN policy with my own firewall.

I know you mentioned MS Ecxhange but its just plain old SMTP on a Win2k8 server. If I only can change the port in the scanner.. That is probably burned into its firmware to be 25.  *sigh*

I just wanted to confirm that I am trying to get to my own smtp server that is physically located in a remote destination from my home using verizon Fios.

thanks for reading.

0 Likes