Seeking static route help
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

After having inserted my own router as the internet gateway router and relegated the Verizon one to be a secondary one that just communicates with the STBs I would like to know if any could explain to me how to set up static routes to be able to access it via a wired connection as I would like to turn of the wireless side of it.

Now have a double NAT'd setup as follows

ONT -> WAN Netgear subnet 192.168.0
              Netgear Lan port 1 -> Wan VZ Westell subnet 192.168.1
                                                      Moca connections to STBs

Ethernet connections to exposed (Port forwarded) machines
              Netgear Lan Port 2 -> Wan Dlink subnet 192.168.3
                                                      Dlink Lan port -> 1GB NIC desktop machine 192.168.3.99

From the desktop machine at 192.168.3.99 I want to be able to get to the admin pages of the VZ router at 192.168.1.1 and also to some exposed machines on the 192.168.1 subnet

I'm guessing I need static routes defined at the dlink router at 192.168.3.1 and the netgear router at 192.168.0.1

On paper this looks very simple but I cannot work out what the static routes are meant to say

Any have any hints that would help me out?

0 Likes
Re: Seeking static route help
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fixed it. once I looked at the Westell logs

Finally realized that the static routes I built were fine and the problem is that I was being blocked at the firewall.

Can't put the router in the DMZ and can't port forward to the the router's lan ip address (192.168.1.1).  Allowed remote admin on the router and it works fine - would be nice if the router allowed you to choose some obscure port but I guess it's not really much of a sexurity risk as the router's wan port is inside the private network anyway. 

0 Likes