Self-install Verizon FIOS internet at new house?
mhawkins102
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi.  I just moved to a new house that already had FIOS equipment installed.  I brought my FIOS router with me, but my install date is now delayed indefinitely due to the strike.  Is there any way to just hook this up myself?  If all of the hardware is there and my service is turned on, I just need to find the right place to plug it all in.  The only problem is that I don't see any large phone jacks to plug in the internet cable.  Any thoughts?

Re: Self-install Verizon FIOS internet at new house?
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

The ONT may be disabled/deactivated from their end.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unlikely.

If Verizon operates anything like the cable providers or wireline group, they will have disconnected the ONT at the aggregation point in your neighborhood (although they may treat fiber differently since one of the reasons to pull the connection on wired installations is to cut down and eliminate electronic noise which would enter the connection from an unterminated access point).

Either way, I suspect the whole thing is tied up in the installation group -- which is one of those groups impacted by the strike -- so you may well be out of luck.

On the upside, this could be sufficient justification if you had an ETF contract from your old address for Verizon to waive the cancellation fee since you are trying in good faith to make a connection in an area they service with FiOS but thru their own internal issues are unable to fulfill at this time.

You may well have to look into the cable provider in your area for service until this is resolved -- and if you are really prefer FiOS over cable like many do -- get a month to month contract so that you can switch in a few months once this mess has been cleared up.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the ONT is powered up and indicates a Fiber signal coming into it (as in, no FAIL indicator, usually), the chance of FiOS being ready for a self install is pretty good. It may be a case of Verizon just needing to provision the ONT and get an account set up for you. Most of that I assume can be done through a computer system.

From that point, it's just knowing how to hook everything up to the ONT if the cabling has been physically disconnecting FROM the ONT.

0 Likes