Setting Quality of Service (QoS) on a Verizon 9100EM Router (MI424WR Router)
naisanza
Enthusiast - Level 2

For those who are trying to setup Quality of Service (QoS) on their MI424WR router, here is the only documentation that the Actiontec manfacturer have. It's not much, but it's all they have.

Incident Summary
=========================
I have a Verizon FiOS Router with Gigabit Ethernet, Model #: MI424WR (GigE for Verizon FiOS).  I am looking for documentation on setting the Quality of Service on the router. I've contacted Verizon and this is their response: "Eric, we do not because it is not supported through us but I can direct you to the Actiontec site. http://www.actiontec.com/support/ Hope this helps. ~Thank you, Adrienne"  Thank you

Resolution:
QoS is not something they support, and there are very limited instructions to configure QoS but I will send what is available.
Traffic shaping:
Advanced->QoS->Traffic Shaping->Add
Leave on Default WAN device and click on Apply
Tx Bandwidth -> Specify
Type in the maximum Kbps for the transmit (upload) of the connection. Note: This will be the maximum bandwidth allotted for all devices behind the router, not just for QoS rules!
Queue policy -> Class Based
Click on the "default" class policy (either the word 'default' or the edit button)
Change the class priority to a higher setting->6 or 7. This will be for general usage.
Click Apply
Click Add under Tx Traffic Shaping
Type in the name of the class, such as VOIP and click Apply
Click on the edit button of the class policy that was just added.
Change the class priority to match what they want, by default it should be '0', indicating the highest priority available
If you want a reserved bandwidth, please note that this bandwidth is on ALL THE TIME, not just when the class policy is triggered. Setting the bandwidth to 90%, for instance, will result in only 10% of the bandwidth being available to other devices AT ALL TIMES.
Best idea is to leave that at 0 reserved bandwidth, and just change the class priority as needed. Leave everything else as is and click Apply.
Under Rx Traffic Policing -
Change Rx Bandwidth to specify, and type in the maximum download speed of the connection. The same conditions are followed as they are in the Tx section.
Click on Add
Type in the name of the class, such as VOIP and click Apply
Click on the edit button of the class policy that was just added.
Change the class priority to match what they want, by default it should be '0', indicating the highest priority available
If you want a reserved bandwidth, please note that this bandwidth is on ALL THE TIME, not just when the class policy is triggered. Setting the bandwidth to 90%, for instance, will result in only 10% of the bandwidth being available to other devices AT ALL TIMES.
Best idea is to leave that at 0 reserved bandwidth, and just change the class priority as needed. Leave everything else as is and click Apply.
Click Apply
Advanced->QoS->Traffic Priority
Under Input Rules click add on Broadband Connection (Ethernet or Coax) Rules
Change the Destination Address to the device they want this rule to apply to
Check Set Priority, and change to the appropriate priorty (7 is the highest)
Change the Rx Class Name to the class added in the last section
Leave everything else as is and click Apply
Under Network (Home/Office) Rules click Add
Change the Destination Address to the device they want this rule to apply to
Check Set Priority, and change to the appropriate priorty (7 is the highest)
Change the Tx Class Name to the class added in the last section
Leave everything else as is and click Apply
Now the device will have the priority set and should receive traffic before or after (depending on the priority chosen) other devices on the router.

Tags (4)