Should call to have my equipment upgraded?
zachyzissou
Enthusiast - Level 2

We signed up for FiOS in its baby days here in North Texas. When they installed it there was just the black converter box and the D-Link Router. Since the D-Link wasn't 802.11n i swapped it for our AirPort Extreme. Everything works fine until we watch about five things on VOD then i'll just have to reset the router and everythings fine. Through my reading i've noticed they switched to the Actiontec routers without the converter box??? Any info on my situation would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Should call to have my equipment upgraded?
Justin46
Legend

Zach,

I too got FiOS TV in the early days, Sept. 2005, and I got the original wired D-Link router and NIM (what you refer to as the "black converter box"). Since I had been using a Belkin wireless router with Charter Cable, I just daisychained it off of the D-Link, and it worked reasonably well, had to reset the Belkin periodically. Several months ago one of my STBs refused to power on, so I called the FSC and they sent a tech out to replace the STB. While he was here I mentioned wanting to try out the ActionTec router, so he went out to the truck, brought one in, and installed it, replacing the D-Link and the NIM (and I quit using my Belkin wireless router).

If you have done any reading in various forums on FiOS, you have probably seen numerous complaints about how bad the ActionTec is. My experience is completely the opposite! It works great, wireless has better signal than the Belkin wireless router I was using, I have not had to reboot the ActionTec router a single time once I did a little configuration work (implemented WPA, changed the login info, etc.).

Now, what should you do? Well, a couple of thoughts:

1) As far as I know, the ActionTec is not 11n, only b/g, so if you really need n, it is not an option. 

2) Since you were installed so long ago, you have the Ethernet connection from the ONT to the router. Many of the complaints about the ActionTec seem to relate to connection via coax, rather than Ethernet (that is now the default way Verizon installs the router, coax only between the ONT and the router, cheaper to install). I suggest you see if you can get an ActionTec and give it a try, again assuming you really don't need n speed.

3) That is an interesting problem with the VOD. I don't have any answer, but I can say that, with my old D-Link/Belkin setup, any time I ran an internet speed test, if I tried another test immediately, it would hang until I reset the Belkin (power off/on). Not the same, but a somewhat similar symptom. I never could figure out why, but I can say for sure that since changing to the AcationTec, I have never had that problem again. My guess would be something in the AirPort Extreme, but I have no clue what, hardware, or definition, or what.

I wish I could give you more help. But if you can live without n, I would give the ActionTec a try, mine works just great.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Should call to have my equipment upgraded?
Justin46
Legend

Zach,

I too got FiOS TV in the early days, Sept. 2005, and I got the original wired D-Link router and NIM (what you refer to as the "black converter box"). Since I had been using a Belkin wireless router with Charter Cable, I just daisychained it off of the D-Link, and it worked reasonably well, had to reset the Belkin periodically. Several months ago one of my STBs refused to power on, so I called the FSC and they sent a tech out to replace the STB. While he was here I mentioned wanting to try out the ActionTec router, so he went out to the truck, brought one in, and installed it, replacing the D-Link and the NIM (and I quit using my Belkin wireless router).

If you have done any reading in various forums on FiOS, you have probably seen numerous complaints about how bad the ActionTec is. My experience is completely the opposite! It works great, wireless has better signal than the Belkin wireless router I was using, I have not had to reboot the ActionTec router a single time once I did a little configuration work (implemented WPA, changed the login info, etc.).

Now, what should you do? Well, a couple of thoughts:

1) As far as I know, the ActionTec is not 11n, only b/g, so if you really need n, it is not an option. 

2) Since you were installed so long ago, you have the Ethernet connection from the ONT to the router. Many of the complaints about the ActionTec seem to relate to connection via coax, rather than Ethernet (that is now the default way Verizon installs the router, coax only between the ONT and the router, cheaper to install). I suggest you see if you can get an ActionTec and give it a try, again assuming you really don't need n speed.

3) That is an interesting problem with the VOD. I don't have any answer, but I can say that, with my old D-Link/Belkin setup, any time I ran an internet speed test, if I tried another test immediately, it would hang until I reset the Belkin (power off/on). Not the same, but a somewhat similar symptom. I never could figure out why, but I can say for sure that since changing to the AcationTec, I have never had that problem again. My guess would be something in the AirPort Extreme, but I have no clue what, hardware, or definition, or what.

I wish I could give you more help. But if you can live without n, I would give the ActionTec a try, mine works just great.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes