Site unreachable via FiOS in MA but reachable via ViOS in MD
qodfathr

I tried to reach the website istarusa.com from my home in MA and was unsuccessful. I was able to complete a tracert. I later noticed that, when I remoted into a desktop I have in MD which is also on FiOS, it was able to reach istarusa.com. So I checked from home again --still unreachable.

Main difference between the two tracerts:

from MA:

G0-3-3-0.BSTNMA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.177.10]
  ae3-0.BOS-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.151.68]
  0.ae11.XL3.NYC1.ALTER.NET [152.63.20.69]
  Request timed out.
  0.ae2.BR2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [140.222.229.93]
  be2062.mpd21.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.7.13]

From MD:

g0-2-3-3.bltmmd-lcr-21.verizon-gni.net [100.41.204.8]
  so-1-1-0-0.res-bb-rtr1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.199.2]
  Request timed out.
  Request timed out.
  0.ae1.br1.iad8.alter.net [140.222.229.163]
  te0-3-0-14.ccr41.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.13.137]

I suspect a problem with some kind of paket loss or filtering between alter.net and Verizon, at least in the NYC/BOS peer connection

0 Likes
Re: Site unreachable via FiOS in MA but reachable via ViOS in MD
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alter.net IS Verizon.  So that isn't an issue.  The request time outs in your traces mean nothing.  It is common for some servers to not respond or respond so slowly that timeout occurs to tracert.  If servers after those servers in the trace respond with good times, you are not having a problem.

Since Cogent is reached in both your traces, I would suspect the problem might not be in Verizon at all.  There has also been many peering disputes with Cogent.

Someone else has commented about a bug that caused problems with CISCO routers and Border Gateway protocol where the tables exceed 512k.  They apparently did so when L3 sent a large upgrade (not their fault).  According to one article "

"Cisco also warned its customers in May that this BGP problem was coming https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12202206/size-internet-global-routing-table-and-its-potenti... and that, in particular, a number of routers and networking products would be affected. There are workarounds, and, of course the equipment could have been replaced. But, in all too many cases this was not done".

Verizon may or may not have fixed their CISCO servers.  DItto fo COGENT and others.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Suspect the verizon the dns serveres

Change your dnd to use open dns or google dns servers and see if it still fails.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a feeling this is a bad route, bogon issue vs a DNS issue.

If you can access your router, do the following, and you'll hopefully be working in 5 minutes.

Actiontec MI424-WR - RELEASE DHCP
Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.
Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.
Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.
Click SETTINGS
Click RELEASE
Click APPLY
Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease ---- wait 5 minutes, and turn it all back on and try again
-
It has mostly to do with the buying of IP address ranges by ISPs as they add new customers. A range could be used by some bad guys and thus get added to the filters. Then a legitimate ISP buys the range to use for their customers, but the filters don't get updated for a long time, so until they do those sites using the outdated filters become inaccessable. I have had this happen maybe a dozen times over the years, getting a new IP address from the ISP has always fixed the problem - and really, the easiest way to for the IP address update is to just turn off the router for a while, could take 1 minute, 5 minutes, up to hours to get a new one not in the blocked range.

The filter problem can occur at the actual inaccessible website, or at any routers along the path from you to the site. Eventually the problem will go away as the filters get updated, but unfortunately that can take a long time, some sites are not very diligent about updating their filters.

Just part of life on the internet....

0 Likes