Slow Evening Speeds, et al
Bob367

I have Verizon Triple Play and have been happy with the video and phone service.  Where I am having REAL concerns is with the slowness of the internet at night.  This is an EVERY night problem.  I just ran the speed test three times in a 15 minute span and here are the results:

Down: 12.15, 10.96, 6.64

Up: 31.70, 34.05, 35.16

Latency: 20ms, 19ms, 21ms

As you can see, the download speed is awful to say the least.

I have contacted tech support twice.  They sent another modem/router and that made no difference at all.  I should probably also mention that this problem occurs on two workstations that are both hard-wired.

Another problem is that there is a website (mrsmitch.net) where my wife has her school classroom site.  At the moment, we cannot get to this site from either workstation.  The results of a tracert show that somewhere in ALTER.net the traffic stops.  If we turn the wireless on our phone off, I can easily get to the website using 3g or 4g.  Since the beginning of school is near, we are trying to make changes to this site...and can't during the evening.  During the day is no problem, but my wife is at school and cannot to this sort of activity while there...so the evening is the only time to do this work.

At this point, and I never thought I would EVER say this, I was happier with Comcast internet services.  It seems to me that Verizon would want to resolve both the speed problem I am having, and also the routing problem through this clogged up ALTER.net site on the way to where we are going.

What should my next steps be?  At this point, I am not a very happy customer...and nobody seems to care.

Thanks for reading!

Bob

0 Likes
Re: Slow Evening Speeds, et al
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Keep testing and see if there is a specific time that the speeds drop.  I am seeing a drop starting almost exactly at 9 PM every night, which might indicate that it isn't a simple high traffic problem.

0 Likes
Re: Slow Evening Speeds, et al
Bob367

I have run about 40 speed tests over a 4 day period and have graphed the results.  I see a drop in speed and a rise in latency at about 9 PM and just after midnight the speed increases and the latency drops.  Even if this was/is a bandwidth problem, I am not getting the speeds that I am paying for.

Bob

0 Likes