Slow Speed Test
Lukacs1

In the last day (Nov.1-2/14), my FIOS internet has slowed to 0.5 - 1.0 Mbps per Verizon's Speed Test. It's been back and forth to 5.0 - 6.0 range, well below "advertised" but workable. Router and computer working fine (65Mbps wireless confirmed), as is HD TV service. Is Verizon having a problem in Boston area? Do they ever notify customers when this is happening? Weather is lousy so that may be a factor; but let us know!

0 Likes
Re: Slow Speed Test
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi there, I haven't seen many Bostonians with the same issue as you, but a couple things I could mention, is to make sure your testing from multiple servers - you might find that you just hit a bad server.  

Also make sure your hardwired for a real life test.   if you are doing it wireless then your results are skewed because they might be tainted by wireless interference like a cordless phone, baby monitors, and tons of other things)

0 Likes
Lukacs1

I'm wireless but that's not an issue. The speed test is back to 6 on download - workable. My question is why was it so low for the better part of a day? Not concerned unless it's chronic.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well we have never really heard of chronic ongoing issues with a particular speedtest server that is using the updated OOKLA client.

So only speedtest.net and speedtest.verizon.net have that client update that I know about.

I am glad it's normalized for you, but let me share a word of caution.  If you're connected wireless, then you won't have any idea if the problem was network related or if it was the wifi in the home. Wifi is Radio waves, they fluctuate by nature.  FiOS is light.  It's either on or off.   

So even though the problem came clear, it kinda remains unclear what caused it.  So if that's not too big a deal, then don't worry about it, but if you have future issues, then just keep the above in mind.  Hardwiring it for a test will help you understand if it's a problem before your router (which is in the home) and/or if it's a problem outside the home.

Lukacs1

Latest: problem is back today. I got through to a Verizon tech this afternoon. He had me disconnect the coax cable and remove the power source from the router while he did some kind of reset and further testing. He said he'd call back but never did. I had an appointment so returned several hours later, reconnected the router and it worked OK. This evening (EST) it slowed down dramatically again on my wireless. I went back to the router, plugged in Ethernet, and it was up to 30 Mbps. Went back on the wireless, ran several tests around the house, all 25-30, returned to my wireless office. Shortly it again nearly died - at 0.08, then recovered as I was walking the laptop back to the router. 

FYI, my PC has an app called "IntelProSet Wireless" that shows the wireless connection speed at a steady 65 Mbps even when the SpeedTest is very slow - that plus the lack of difference in wired vs. wireless tests suggests the router may not be the problem. Suggestion on next steps? I am not looking forward to another long wait on hold with 1-800-VERIZON...

0 Likes