Slow download from Montgomery County, MD since 12.October
rev6

Something happened last week on Weds. to where I now get only around ~800kbps down (while maintaining about 15Mbps up) to most sites.  The service was completely down for about a day (and we had a failure of the video on demand service as well, but that came back a few days later) but after service restoration the internet is still very slow for downloads.  After four calls to tech support, I am getting a new router but based on posts here that is not going to help.

The tech seemed to argue that since I was able to a full 30Mbps download from the local server on speedtest.verizon.net, that my connection was fine.  It didn't matter to him that every state option that wasn't "mid-atlantic" results in less than 1,0Mbps speed. 

Funny thing is, some sites are still fast.  In another thread there were three links posted for supposedly high speed downloads.  On one of them I got 1.4Mbps down, which I consider fine, on the others it was udner 50kbps, which is absurd.  I tried downloading openoffice early and got a 25kbps speed.  Two weeks ago it was over 2Mbps from the same server.  Using speedtest.net I am getting anywhere from 20Mbps in the area (Maryland/DC) to 200kbps to NYC.  Not a single test on dslreports.com gets above 500kbps, while just last month I was getting over 10Mbps on most of them.

So this sounds a bit like what was posted in the "Tampa" thread in this forum and that was solved by rebooting the gateway at the central office.  Is there a good way to go about requesting a tech check it out? 

0 Likes
Re: Slow download from Montgomery County, MD since 12.October
Gomer1

I am in the same boat in MoCO.  Same exact problems.  Youtube is borderline functional.  Hulu is stuttering like The Kings Speech. DSLReports speedtests are similar.

Glad to see it's not an issue with my equipment, but this needs to be taken care of soon.

0 Likes
Baltar1

I also live in Montgomery County MD and have been experiencing the same problems for approximately a week.  I am a new subscriber (installation date was a month ago), and YouTube has been very slow and I get lots of lag playing WoW.

0 Likes
TerpFan1

I have the exact issues as the original poster.  I am also in Montgomery County.  In addition to extremely slow downloads, my VOD service is roughly 50% functional.  The VOD menu is slow/stutters and some HD content will be extremely pixelated and has distorted sound.  I had a service appointment with the tech today.  He spent a lot of time with me.  He replaced the modem, the splitter, and the ONT.  Still have the same problems.  Downloads on youtube are hit or miss as well.  I was worried that they would have to replace my fiber, but after seeing threads like this it looks like that wouldn't help either.  This sounds like a network infrastructure issue on their end.

0 Likes
marcsmole
Enthusiast - Level 1
I also live in MoCo and have experienced the same problem as everyone else on this list. Seems like the max download I can ever get is about 1MB/s = 8Mbps. I have the 25/25Mbps plan. I've done a range of speed tests using various speed test web sites and the fios speed test as well. Upload speeds are always normal and download is just terrible to many sites. Like what other people said in this post, my download speeds to any of the mid-atlantic sites are fine though. Anything outside the region just sucks. I did notice something pretty interesting with the fios speed test to a NY server. I get 1.33Mbps download and 19.88Mbps. The detailed analysis showed this info: Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch I highly doubt it's referring to my local PC since I have no speed problems to mid atlantic sites, but perhaps it's referring to some gateway switch in some network op center. Verizon really needs to check this out.