Spare router, coax-to-ethernet in a second room?
MamaZappa
Enthusiast - Level 2

We just upgraded our internet speed, and got the newer FIOS router. This leaves us with the old router (which Verizon hasn't asked us to return). 

We have the router set up in a room with a hard-wired desktop computer. In another room, we have a smart TV which of course gets its TV signal from the coaxial cable, but which has a wireless connection for smart functions. As we found that to be extremely wonky (TV's fault; other devices have no issue), we purchased an ActionTec coax-to-ethernet MoCa adapter from Amazon. With the addition of a coax splitter, this lets us use all the TV's features. 

Having recently gotten another smart TV in another room, it occurred to me to set up the old router in that room to do the same coax-to-Ethernet conversion. 

1) There is a coaxial out port on the cable box in that room. Could we use that port to go into the router? If so, this would avoid the need tor a splitter and extra cables. 

2) Does anyone know if there's a way to access that second router's settings? I'm guessing that if we connect via ethernet and try 192.168.1.1 that it *should* allow it, though I'm concerned we'd actually wind up linking to the main (new) router.

3) Is there a way to turn off the wireless feature of the old router? We wouldn't need that, since the newer one is supposedly faster / better, and I'd worry about interference or even violating Verizon's terms of service. 

0 Likes
Re: Spare router, coax-to-ethernet in a second room?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

1)  No.  The COAX OUT port does not pass MOCA signals.

2)  You have to connect to the spare router BEFORE connecting it to the coax to change it's LAN IP address to something other than 192.168.1.1.  See the part 2 of the following FAQ for how to utilize a spare router as a MOCA bridge:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

3)  Yes.  Go to the Wireless settings page and turn off the radio.

Re: Spare router, coax-to-ethernet in a second room?
MamaZappa
Enthusiast - Level 2

1) Yeah, I figured as much. I'd tried it anyway and it didn't work (no surprise).

3) Yeah, I saw that when I set the router up and started tweaking it.

3) That FAQ is great - thanks for pointing me over there. I did all the steps and the setup still isn't working, but I've posted over on that forum for additional ideas. 

0 Likes