Re: Speed problems with 150/65 service
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

There used to be a piece of coaxial cable running between the ONT and the router.  They replaced that with ethernet.  Sounds to me like you have some problem other than the wrong cable.  In my experience I've never had a good cable go bad unless it suffered physical damage so I'd be looking at the router probably.

On a side note, my router could not really handle downloads.. CPU overheating?  I replaced it with a D-LINK Dir-855 and things are much better.  If you try to do something like that, make sure you either call or google for instructions first.

0 Likes
Disco

Hi,

I just upgraded my FIOS to 150/65 from 35/35.   I was getting about 95/43 after the line was upgraded with an Ethernet cable.  I have GigE on all of my devices.  The tech did not replace my modem.  This was two weeks ago. 

Thanks

0 Likes
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sounds like you probably have a 100Mbit device somewhere in the path. What is the model of the router you have? If you have the actiontec that supports 1Gbps then there will be a green light on either side of each ethernet connector. Both green lights for each cable should be illuminated (and flickering when activity occurs). If only one side or the other is illumated then that connection is operating at 100 or 10 Mbps. The WAN connector should definitely have both lights illuminated as should the connector running to your computers. If not, you know where the problem is and just have to figure out if you have a cabling problem or a problem with some configuration.

I have a cable (that I made myself) and it will not link at 1Gbps but works fine at 100Mbps. This is due to the fact that the connectors are not wired in the correct order, so that's a possibility too.

I'd check to see if you have a link that's not running 1Gbps and if one is not, call for support and tell them what you found. If your router is not the Actiontec MI42WR then it's possible you have the wrong router, too.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kelemvor wrote:

I'd check to see if you have a link that's not running 1Gbps and if one is not, call for support and tell them what you found. If your router is not the Actiontec MI42WR then it's possible you have the wrong router, too.

Just a small correction to the quoted. The ActionTec MI424WR Revision G and I are the only flavors that have a Gigabit switch in them. Rev. A, B, C, D, E and F have Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) switches in addition to the Westell 9100EM and 9100VM.

0 Likes
10Gauge1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just recently ordered the 150/65 package myself.  It is scheduled for install tomorrow.  I am happy that I found this thread before-hand to try and avoid any problems.

I am assuming they are going to replace my old ONT and router with new gear, or at least the router.

Currently the router is connected via coax to the ONT.   It sounds like the only way to take advantage of speeds higher than 100mbit is to have the router connected to the ONT via ethernet.

Is this something that the Verizon tech will do tomorrow?  I am somewhat uncertain on how this would be accomplished without a lot of work.  I live in a townhouse in a center unit.  I keep the router on the middle floor and hardwired to my PC.  The house does not have hardwired ethernet throughout the house, only coax.   I am curious to know how the tech is going to get ethernet from the ONT to the router in our location?

Has anyone had any experience with this?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
kelemvor
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was the coax between the ONT and the router; they replaced that with an ethernet cable between the ONT and the router instead.  If you were getting 150 down at first then my guess would be that you have some different problem going on.  I did find that my VZ router did not perform well while downloading large files.  I replaced the Verizon router with a D-Link and fixed that problem  I still have to use the VZ router for the cable box, though since the cable box gets an IP from the router and the cable box will only do it over coax.  I have the followin setup rougly:

ONT -> D-Link

D-Link -> Computer(s)

D-Link -> VZ Router

VZ Router -> Cable Box

0 Likes