Splitting cable for second internet and tv
vevan21
I am in the process of finishing my basement. Currently, the cable comes into my basement and splits up to go around the house. The splitter has 1 more unused spot, so I will use that for the basement. I would like to have cable and internet (preferably hard wired) down there. I have 2 questions:

1. Will splitting the one slot into cable and internet affect my signal?

2. Is it possible to keep the internet I have on my second floor (working as a wireless router and hard wired connection), and use the split in the basement to hook up another modem/router that would be used to hard wire multiple internet devices (smart tv, PS3, maybe a desktop)? Or would I have to move the wireless router and modem from the second floor down to the basement?
0 Likes
Re: Splitting cable for second internet and tv
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If I understand your questions correctly, then:

1)  No, if you already have a splitter in place connecting to an unused port on that splitter should not cause any reduction in signal strength.

2)  What I would suggest is you use a MoCA adapter to provide hard wired connectivity in the basement.   Look at an ECB 2500 to provide what you're looking for.

You may need to add another port to in additonal to  the splitter that's already in place in the basement to feed the input to the MoCA adapter.  You could change the existing splitter one that has an additional port, or add another 1-to-2 splitter after the one remaining port that's already availble.

The ECB 2500 would get it's feed from the coax splitter and provide an Ethernet output for hardwire connections in the basement.  With that configuration you wouldn't need another router.

0 Likes
vevan21
Ok I think that will work. So to have multiple Ethernet connections from the ECB2500, I would have to run that to a router to split it?
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Not a router, but rather a simple (and inexpensive)  Ethernet splitter.  Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-5-port-100Mbps-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electroni...

0 Likes
vevan21
Awesome, thank you!
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1
You're welcome and good luck. And for whatever it's worth, I'm using a MoCA adapter in a similar configuration. It was easy to set up and works great.
0 Likes