Steam Connectivity Issues
Bausch

I am in the Fortworth/Texas area. I switched from Time Warner Cable to Fios about a week ago and ever since I have had problems with Steam servers. I am able to view servers on the list and see Steam friends for the most part, and I am eve able to join games. After playing in a server for 5-10 mins I am disconnected and lose connection to steam completely. 

I have already tried a different DNS server, I have already opened all the ports needed, and I have allowed exceptions in my firewall. I have also tried all of the troubleshooting options Steam gives on their site. Nothing has worked. I have never once had this problem with Steam on another ISP, and I don't think ports are my issue since I can connect to the servers for 5-10 mins.

I have searched around and found people talking about a NAT issue, and wonder if I should try the Actiontec MI424WR router to see if that solves my issues.

Anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it?

0 Likes
Re: Steam Connectivity Issues
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried running a really large download to see if that times out when you lose connection to Steam and your game server? The Steam Browser is known to cause issues with overflowing the NAT Table on the older ActionTec routers. Are you by any chance running a Rev. D or older ActionTec?

0 Likes
Re: Steam Connectivity Issues
Bausch

I do not have issues loading servers on the browser for the most part, the only issue is while in game. As I said before once I join a server I am able to play just fine for a short period of time. The I will get disconnected and that's when the server list doesn't respond. Then eventually everything with go back to normal and it all happens all over again.

I have a WESTELL 9100EM and I have the Fios 25/25 internet and TV plan. I want to explore more options with the different routers available but I  have been having A LOT of trouble with the support by phone and live chat. Most of them don't understand what I am trying to tell them, and it just end up with me being redirected over and over. And I am NOT going to pay for a premium customer service for something that shouldn't be an issue. Again I have never had this issue up until last Friday when it was isntalled.

0 Likes