Switching From Comcast Without Drilling
Bulldog14
Enthusiast - Level 2

We currently receive internet and cable TV service from Comcast. Landline telephone is from Verizon. We are thinking of switching internet and TV to Verizon to take advantage of Triple Play pricing.

We rent our home and wish to maintain our good relationship with our landlord. To this end, we do not want to add services that require any kind of drilling, particularly drilling through walls.

Our home is wired for Comcast service (obviously) with co-axial connectors already in place that lead outside the building.

1- Can Verizon switch us to FIOS using only the existing cables, without additional drilling? (I realize that may be a difficult question to answer without seeing the exact wiring in our home.)

2- Would Verizon visit our home, have a look at the existing wiring, and advice us what additional work is needed, if any, to switch us to FIOS? What would be the charge for such a visit?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching From Comcast Without Drilling
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

Bulldog1 wrote:
...  receive internet and cable TV ... from Comcast ... Landline telephone is from Verizon ... thinking of switching internet and TV to Verizon ... We rent our home and  ... do not want to add services that require  ... drilling through walls ... 

1- Can Verizon switch us to FiOS using only the existing cables, without additional drilling? ... 

In general, yes (and no).  They can install FiOS equipment (a.k.a  ONT) on the exterior of the building and connect directly to existing exterior coax for both TV and Internet.  It's also likely that your existing telco wiring can be accommodated externally.  However in the typical install, Verizon supplies a battery backup device inside the building that requires a power outlet in the building, plus a wired connection between the backup unit and the ONT.  This necessarily means drilling a small hole through the building, pretty much a standard procedure that doesn't entail anything major besides a small drill hole and some sealant.  It's also possible the the backup device wiring could pass through the existing hole where the coax resides.

Bulldog1 wrote:

... 2- Would Verizon visit our home, have a look at the existing wiring, and advice us what additional work is needed, if any, to switch us to FiOS? What would be the charge for such a visit? ...

Probably not, although if you are willing to pay for a separate "truck roll" at the going rate (and it may be significant), then the answer changes to "perhaps."  The reason such visits are not common is that the techs are usually very experienced and have encountered most situations more than once.  However it will not hurt to speak with VZ prior to the install to eliminate subsequent conflicts and confusion.

There is an abundance of FiOS installation data on the Internet.  Here for starters is a useful link: 

http://www.sheepdogit.com/2010/06/09/verizon-fios-installation-guide/

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

Bulldog1 wrote:
...  receive internet and cable TV ... from Comcast ... Landline telephone is from Verizon ... thinking of switching internet and TV to Verizon ... We rent our home and  ... do not want to add services that require  ... drilling through walls ... 

1- Can Verizon switch us to FiOS using only the existing cables, without additional drilling? ... 

In general, yes (and no).  They can install FiOS equipment (a.k.a  ONT) on the exterior of the building and connect directly to existing exterior coax for both TV and Internet.  It's also likely that your existing telco wiring can be accommodated externally.  However in the typical install, Verizon supplies a battery backup device inside the building that requires a power outlet in the building, plus a wired connection between the backup unit and the ONT.  This necessarily means drilling a small hole through the building, pretty much a standard procedure that doesn't entail anything major besides a small drill hole and some sealant.  It's also possible the the backup device wiring could pass through the existing hole where the coax resides.

Bulldog1 wrote:

... 2- Would Verizon visit our home, have a look at the existing wiring, and advice us what additional work is needed, if any, to switch us to FiOS? What would be the charge for such a visit? ...

Probably not, although if you are willing to pay for a separate "truck roll" at the going rate (and it may be significant), then the answer changes to "perhaps."  The reason such visits are not common is that the techs are usually very experienced and have encountered most situations more than once.  However it will not hurt to speak with VZ prior to the install to eliminate subsequent conflicts and confusion.

There is an abundance of FiOS installation data on the Internet.  Here for starters is a useful link: 

http://www.sheepdogit.com/2010/06/09/verizon-fios-installation-guide/
Bulldog14
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all that helpful information.

Even if we could swing the minor amount of drilling, I'm very possessive about my computer - my life revolves around it - and I wouldn't take kindly to Verizon installing software over which I have no control and their own router.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Bulldog1 wrote:

Thanks for all that helpful information.

Even if we could swing the minor amount of drilling, I'm very possessive about my computer - my life revolves around it - and I wouldn't take kindly to Verizon installing software over which I have no control and their own router.

You don't have to let them install anything on your computer. I'm very possessive of my computer as well, and simply told the tech that he wasn't touching my PC. The software is not necessary for the FiOS connection.

Bulldog14
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you again. I read elsewhere that the software is not at all needed and that activation of the service can be done separately.

There's also the matter of Verizon's router, which I must accept if I am to get FIOS TV. I'm very happy with my existing router (for which I paid a goodly sum) and don't want it replaced, nor do I want to have to redo my entire network setup.

While it is possible, technically, to work around Verizon's router, this introduces needless complexity to my network setup, and adds additional layers of technology that will need troubleshooting in the event something goes wrong.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

There are instructions around here (and elsewhere) that describe in detail how to set yourself up with your own router and the one that Verizon supplies. I believe the tech is obligated to install the Verizon router and to show you that you have network connectivity.  After that, what ever you do is your own.

The Verizon router is required for the TV set top boxes. But you can disable the wireless and configure it to bridge to your other router or set your other router as a different subnet or whatever.