Swithched from Charter to FiOS - email not working
Maggie1294

I recently added Verizon FiOS to our home swithing from Charter. I want to keep my charter.net email since I have had it for 12 years. I keep having trouble using the settings that Verizon provides.

Does anyone have experience with these 2 providers?? Thanks so much.!

0 Likes
Re: Swithched from Charter to FiOS - email not working
Hubrisnxs
Legend

www.verizon.com/port25

I believe you will have to go into your email settings and change the outgoing server port to use port 587.     Charter has to have an alternate server port.  they use 25 by default, and verizon blocks that port, so as long as charter has an alternate open, then it should go through fine as long as it is not port 25.

If that doesn't work, then that means charter only has one port to use and it's a port that is blocked.

Have no fear though, you can still use it on Verizon if you use a mixed set up.

So that means that you need two sets of info

You have the first.

Charter email address, password, incoming mail settings.

That is all done. 

Now you need your Verizon Settings for the outgoing.

so you would need your verizon email address, your verizon password and the outgoing settings.

for outgoing you would use outgoing.verizon.net

port 587 or if you want it secure, you can use SSL (requires a check in the outgoing ssl box) and port 465

in the advanced or 'more settings' section, under outgoing servers, you would put your verizon credentials.

You do need a check for 'my server requires authentication'

0 Likes
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon email settings can be found here . The information is for setting up a verizon.net email address. The only information that you would use for a non-verizon email address is the outgoing server, the server port# and also use in the outgoing server requires auth to use a verizon username and password. All the incoming information is going to be from your non-verizon email account.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you moved from Charter to Verizon for Internet access, Charter most likely disabled or shut off your charter.net e-mail address. What Verizon gives you is an @verizon.net e-mail address. If you're trying to send or access your old charter.net e-mail, it is most likely the reason why you are unable to access it. If you are trying to send as a @charter.net e-mail from a Verizon e-mail server, e-mails are prone to be rejected due to SPF records. In addition a Verizon mail server will not receive @charter.net addressed e-mails. Verizon's servers will receive e-mail from @charter.net only if the addressee is one you've been provided from Verizon, in which case people from charter.net can send you e-mail to your @verizon.net e-mail.

For accessing Verizon.net e-mail, the settings Verizon supplies on their help page should work just fine. If you can describe what exactly is not working for this case, that would be appreciated.

The two posters above have addressed everything you really need to know, if your charter e-mail is still working so please check above.