Troubleshooting PPTP VPN passthrough on Fios router MI424WR
apphet

I have configured a PPTP VPN server to my Synology DiskStation at home network. All the clients on the home network can access the VPN server just fine while any client on the Internet is not.

I've setup the port forwarding rules for PPTP on the Fios router MI424WR Gen-2 (1723 TCP + GRE) but no avail. The Internet clients clearly see the VPN server on my home network, but they are not able to establish the data connection (hangs on "opening the connection" or "verifying the username/password" depending on the client). Without the port forwarding rules VPN clients just hangs out "no server available".

I've also double checked the Synology own firewall settings are correct.

I'm guessing the Fios router does not support the GRE implementation by Synology.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Troubleshooting PPTP VPN passthrough on Fios router MI424WR
Hubrisnxs
Legend

They do GRE if you use the preconfigured port forward rules.  

Try to delete your PF rule, and use the Built in PF instead. 

0 Likes
apphet

Yes, I used the Fios router built-in PPTP port forwarding rule to enable 1723 TCP and GRE. No success.

0 Likes
MaltLiquor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue.  I am thinking this may be a firmware problem. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

double check with actiontec,  I set up a vpn just this week for a friend that had the newer actiontec (two antennas verizon firmware), only needed three ports open and everything worked flawlessly within minutes going to an apple server.  He did the apple server side, and I helped him do the actiontec.    His problem was he kept going into advanced settings instead of just sticking with the basic port forward.  iow he was making it harder for himself than he needed to. 

http://support.actiontec.com/email_support/support_form.php

I followed these instructions here. 

0 Likes
MaltLiquor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have tryed everything to get this to work.  I may need to go back to comcast.  I contaced both support lines (verizon and the modem).  I am out of options.  Anyone else get this to work?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

definetely not a firmware problem, a lot of users do vpn's, you have to roll up your sleeves and dig in.   it's probably something small your missing, OR you are too focused on the router. 

the router is 5 seconds of configuring, and THAT'S IT.   don't spend any more than that looking at the router GUI.

Your rule should be simple

your ip 192.168.1.x 

source port is always ANY

destination port addess  xxxxx

protocol (pick your poison) tcp or udp.

For the latest vpn the vendor wanted one udp and 3 tcp ports forwarded. 

after that go back to your pc (windows firewall, norton, mcafee etc...) or VPN software  and configure it properly.

0 Likes
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

Same problem here, I just got FIOS this week, I had comcast before with a CISCO 3500 wireless router.  NOTHING changed on my internal serve and internally VPN connecction works, it's something with the FIOS router.  I found another bug also, with FTP.  If Im working from home, and VPN to work.. then while VPN's to work I try to FTP to my server the router gets confused thinks I should be external when I'm internal.  The Cisco/linksys router worked fine, but fios router doesn't and I have the new rev I router.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I would give the cisco a static IP off the actiontec, put it in the actiontec's DMZ and just call it a day. 

The port rules are all still in your cisco, and it probably does better wireless N than the actiontec does.  The actiontec is a single radio wireless N and it maxes out at 130mb.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@MaltLiquor wrote:

I have tryed everything to get this to work.  I may need to go back to comcast.  I contaced both support lines (verizon and the modem).  I am out of options.  Anyone else get this to work?

Quite a few people have gotten it to work. 

Two things that I don't think were mentioned that stand out when looking at these, is Make sure your Device IP Address is NOT in the .100 range.    The Set top boxes for TV use the .100 range, and also, some users couldn't get it to work over Coax, and had to run ethernet cords from the ONT to their router, and then call verizon to switch it, and that seemed to work for some people.

You can view their solutions here.

Accepted Solution 

VPN Problems

by @sailracer_98 in FiOS Internet