Trying to connect to fios internet....
chris_price_e
Enthusiast - Level 2

My landlord tells me my house is equipped with fios internet and cable tv from Verizon. The cable tv works and I see the Motorola DCT-700 Digital Adapter sitting on top of the TV.

I don't see anything that would connect me to the internet though. There is a small Verizon box in the corner of the living room with an RJ11 (telephone) jack that has a battery backup but I don't believe that is for the internet. I think that is for the telephone service. (I have a cell, I don't need a landline.) I'm also pretty sure the house isn't set up for DSL because the landlord specifically said FIOS.

Does anyone have any ideas? Would that box with the RJ11 be for the internet? I tried asking the landlords how to connect to the internet but they are not exactly tech savvy and couldn't explain how.

Re: Trying to connect to fios internet....
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model is the ONT installed (the box with the battery backup)? The FiOS service should have either an ActionTec or a Westell router included with it. The previous renters may have taken it with them, or perhaps your landlord has it. To see if the router is present somewhere, see if your TV is receiving Guide Data and if Video On Demand works (I'm pretty sure that particular Motorola supports those). If the router is present, connected and functonal, you should have both pieces working. By default, it will be connected to the ONT using Coaxial cable, so tracing the cables might lead you somewhere.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

VZ usually installs 3 "boxes" with FIOS, in addition to any Set Top boxes:

• Optical Network Terminal (ONT)
  • Battery Backup Unit (BBU)
  • Wireless router (Actiontec MI424WR or Westell 9100EM)

The ONT provides connections for TV (coax), phone (RJ11), internet (coax or optionally RJ45).

It's not clear from you description if the RJ11 phone jack you're referring to is the ONT, or simply a surface mount RJ11 jack which is connected to the ONT.

As smith6612 suggested, your best bet is to follow the coax.  VZ's standard install is to run coax from the main splitter to the FIOS router. 

Is your FIOS service included in your rent?  If not, you will have to call VZ to activate service.  They will send a tech out with what ever STBs you order and with a wireless router.

Are you sharing internet and TV service with your landlord?  i.e.  a duplex and he has the router in his unit?

One correction to what smith6612 said, the DCT700 does not provide guide data or VOD, so that can't be used to test is internet is active.

tns
Master - Level 2

Perhaps the landlord means wireless, sort of what many Hotels do.  Obviously asking him for a clarification would help.

chris_price_e
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help everyone.

There is no wireless, I already asked the landlord about that and checked. 

There seems to be a ONT on the wall and a BBU next to it. Next to the BBU is a small RJ11 surface mount jack like this one. 

(Not sure if that pic will work. http://www.computercableinc.com/ccinc/products.jsp?sub=Surface+Mount+Jacks&id=7374 )

That is the only connection by the ONT and BBU.

Following the coax cable from the Motorola box does not lead to either of these boxes in that corner but goes through the living room and out a hole in the wall to the outside. I will try to follow this and see what I find.

I think the landlord must have all the equipment in his side of the duplex..... they are very hard to talk to and seem to have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them questions. Their explanation to me when I asked how to connect to the FIOS internet was "There is a connection by the VCR in the corner." They also said the last tenant was able to connect just fine and I'm thinking she may have used the landline provided for dialup. They don't live here all year so I have to call them or I would just knock on their door. The more I know when I talk to them though the easier this will be.

Thanks again for your help.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your ONT by any chance have an Ethernet port inside of it? What happens when you connect your PC to that Ethernet port? The Ethernet port might be active if the landlord doesn't have equipment in their section of the building.

0 Likes