Trying to convert old Actiontec modem into coax-Ethernet converter
HappyPlan

I have FIOS available in the house through coax.  One room had the old Actiontech with the computers, and various media devices throughout the house are running off wireless with shakey connections.

I bought a new Actiontec-MI424WR that I want to put in the main family room.  That would leave the computers in the different other stuck on wireless. I want to reconfigure the old Actiontec modem to connect to the coax in the room and wired Ethernet to the computers.  I have searched at length on this topic and cannot locate an answer (or at least one that I can understand - my tech level is not strong).  In the alternative, if there is some different device to buy that I can used between the coax and the Ethernet, that works too.

Any guidance is appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Trying to convert old Actiontec modem into coax-Ethernet converter
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If I understand corrrectly  what you're hoping to accomplish I would suggest you use an Actiontec ECB 2200 MoCA adapter.

You could use your old router as the coax-to-Ethernet convertor but it would require considerably more configuration.  The ECB 2200 is plug-and-play...no configuring required.

The 2200 has a coax input and Ethernet output.   If you need more than a single Ethernet output you could use a simple Ethernet splitter, again requiring no configuration.

I use an ECB 2200 here to extend our LAN to the other end of our house and I get the same 75/35 mb/s speeds that I get when connected by Ethernet directly to my Actiontec Rev I router.

0 Likes
Re: Trying to convert old Actiontec modem into coax-Ethernet converter
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The following FAQ will walk you through using either an MOCA Adapter (ECB) as eljefe suggested or using an Actiontec as a MOCA bridge.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

The ECB is plug and play, so is the simpler solution.

The advantage of using an Actiontec is that you already have it and that it gives you four ethernet ports.

The instructions aren't hard to follow.

BTW, the Actiontec is a MOCA capable router.  It is not a modem .

0 Likes