Unable to FTP to remote site
dbolt
Enthusiast - Level 2

After upgrading to the Quantum router, I can not FTP to my site using a script that has been working fine for over 10yr.  Here's what happens:

ftp> open {edited for privacy}

connected to {edited for privacy}

Connection refused by remote host

ftp>

I've tried with Filzilla and a Mac terminal.  Normally, the remote host asks for a username and then for the PW.  For some reason, the connection is refused.  I've been on the phone to my hosting company for 2wk tomorrow with no success.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong.  Upgrading to the Quantum router and the issue occurred at about the same time, but I can't be sure one caused the other.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to FTP to remote site
dbolt
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem number was the one in my original post.  The Win application continued to upload data to three other sites via ftp.  

This morning, I gave up on working with my hosting company - not helpful.  On the chance that my new Quantum router was not configured correctly, I started a chat with Verizon.  The nice lady by the name of Jagannath asked a couple of questions and then suggested that she try a different public number for my network.  I rebooted the router and Wala!  Everything in now working fine.  I'm not sure why it did not work with the original IP, but everything is now working as it should.  

And, it was a pleasure to work/chat with someone who seemed interested in solving the problem.  

Thank you for your help and suggestions.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried adjusting the firewall setting in the router?   It may have different settings than your old router.

I was able to connect to that server through my Quantum router.  I've got the firewall set to "typical."

ftp> open {edited for privacy}
Connected to {edited for privacy}.
220 (vsFTPd 2.3.4)
User ({edited for privacy}:(none)):
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
503 Login with USER first.
Login failed.
ftp>

Good Luck.

0 Likes
dbolt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate you taking time to help.

Firewall is set to Typical for both IVv4 and IVp6.  I'm tempted to set both to Minimum to see what happens.  I don't want to run at that level, but it might help identify the problem.

I asked a friend on a different network to do the same test you performed and he also was able to get far enough that the remote asked for username/PW.

0 Likes
dbolt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I set the Firewall security to Minimal for IV4P.  I could not change IV6P.  I tried to connect and got the same "connection refused" error.  

Does the change in Firewall security take effect immediately, or should I have waited or rebooted the router before testing

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Firewall changes should be immediate.

FiOS is an IPv4 network; don't worry about IPv6.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit and the standard Microsoft FTP client.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
dbolt
Enthusiast - Level 2

My desktop is a Win7-64-P and I use a DOS window to test FTP.  However, the real world need involves a Linux based webcam running an ftp script and a Windows based weather station software that also uses an FTP script.  Neither can access my FTP site, but both currently connect and upload data to other sites via FTP.

My Hosting company has not been of much help.  Some of their tech folks can demonstrate the problem and some can not.  They keep saying they will esculate the matter and get back to me in 1-2 business days.  That's been going on for way too long.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it just that site or can you ftp with no issues to other sites?

0 Likes
dbolt
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem number was the one in my original post.  The Win application continued to upload data to three other sites via ftp.  

This morning, I gave up on working with my hosting company - not helpful.  On the chance that my new Quantum router was not configured correctly, I started a chat with Verizon.  The nice lady by the name of Jagannath asked a couple of questions and then suggested that she try a different public number for my network.  I rebooted the router and Wala!  Everything in now working fine.  I'm not sure why it did not work with the original IP, but everything is now working as it should.  

And, it was a pleasure to work/chat with someone who seemed interested in solving the problem.  

Thank you for your help and suggestions.  

0 Likes