Unable to Stream Video on Windows Media Player
narshank

Hi,

I moved to Verizon FIOS Internet from Comcast. Since then, one of the InternetTV Sites I use (www.watchsuntv.com) has stopped working after I moved to FIOS.

This is true for all computers on my home network. Two of them are wireless and the third is hard wired (networked) to the router.

The service works when I connect to another public internet service, without any modifications of any configuration. In fact when ever I want to view this video stream, I just connect to this wireless network; which I do not want to do.

I do not get any error message. The caption on the embedded windows media player (widget) on the page, just says it is connecting and comes up with a Ready message after a minute- but no video.

I suspected the Router Firewall and changed it to the minimal level; but that also did not work.

Any help would be most appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Unable to Stream Video on Windows Media Player
VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1

Which Router did the tech provide you with?  Actiontec or Westell?  Either way this is not a known issue.  I can suggest that you first pin reset the router through the reset hole in the back.  Next go into advanced settings and assure UPNP (Universal Plug N Play) is turned on.  Lastly change your firewall back to minimal since the reset button will cause all settings to go back to factory..Side note..(Your wep and ssid will also change when you reset)

0 Likes
JRichmond97
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same problem since switching over to Fios although my problem seems to be limited to a narrow set of sites.  I am able to stream windows media video from some sources but all of the streams from Key West FL (http://floridakeyswebcams.tv/) just sit there with a "connecting to server" message.  I have tried 3 different browsers and 3 different computers (1 wired, 2 wireless) on my home network.  The sites are up and running as I had someone check them for me.  I have the actiontec router and I have turned down the firewall and UPNP is turned on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JRichmond97 wrote:

I have the exact same problem since switching over to Fios although my problem seems to be limited to a narrow set of sites.  I am able to stream windows media video from some sources but all of the streams from Key West FL (http://floridakeyswebcams.tv/) just sit there with a "connecting to server" message.  I have tried 3 different browsers and 3 different computers (1 wired, 2 wireless) on my home network.  The sites are up and running as I had someone check them for me.  I have the actiontec router and I have turned down the firewall and UPNP is turned on.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid I cannot give you any help, because I went to the site you linked and viewed 4 or 5 of the cams just fine. I am using Windows 7, Windows Firewall, Firefox 3.5.5, Actiontec router with no specific customization other than SSID and encryption. Only little glitch was that Windows Firewall came up with a "block" message on the Duval Street cam (only that one of the ones I viewed), said it was blocking some function of Firefox or the site, I said allow it and all was fine (no indication of what the issue was, some guy was standing on the sidewalk looking around like he had no idea where he was or what to do Smiley Very Happy ).

So you are correct, it is not the site. But I don't think it is FiOS either, at least not nationwide. Where are you located? Perhaps some kind of local issue, or ???? (I have no clue).

Sorry.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ld14051

I have the exact problem as JRichmond97 and the Key West cams.  I had no problem viewing the live streaming with Time Warner.  Since the switch to FIOS I get the same "connecting to media" message he gets with no connection ever made.  I can view the still picture cams with 8 second refresh and cams that have a tilt or pan camera(they seem to be fast refresh cams-don't know the correct term, and not true streaming cams) such as the Southernmost collection and Robbies on the Islamorada site.  But Duval Street or Ocean Key Resort-nothing.  Can't figure out why.  I use Windows Vista with Media Player 11.  I have the Axiscamera installed, ActiveX and Direct X installed as well. It works on none of the 3 computers in my house. Have tried it on IE Firefox and Chrome.  I have the ActionTec router if that matters.

0 Likes
Rich64

I was having the exact same problem with the same websites and thought  I set up the wireless connection wrong but I see that everyone else is having the same problem with Windows Media Streaming videos from web sites. Any ideas on how the fix this problem? Any help would be very much appreciated.

0 Likes
ld14051

If anyone is still having issues, mine have resolved but I am not sure how.   A new window began opening from  Windows Defender asking me if I wanted to allow the sight.  I answerd yes and was then able to view all live streaming on the Florida Keys website. The window still will occasionally open with the allow request-not sure why.I do not know why this suddenly started happening, but perhaps if you don't need Windows Defender it can be uninstalled.  Since things are working for me I am leaving it on my computer even though I have other security software on my computer.  I also downloaded Silverlight. around the same time so I don't know if that helped with the viewing. 

0 Likes
JRichmond97
Enthusiast - Level 1

I resolved my problem by switching to VLC video player.  Seems to be more "tolerant" than windows media player.  I still occasionally get connection errors but can usually just retry once or twice to resolve them.