Unable to connect to wireless
nina666
Enthusiast - Level 1

HELP!!! I was on the phone with Verizon PTS for 45 minutes and they could not help me with my wireless connection.  I do have a wireles card that works in the ariport, in other cities, and at my business.   I am picking up 5 other wireless connections in my neighborhood.

Any suggestions?  Verizon asked me to pay an extra monthly fee for their premium help.  This wireless problem seems elementary and I should not have to pay extra fee. Right?

Thanks for your help. 

Re: Unable to connect to wireless
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Are you able to see the wireless network? What happens when you try to connect to it? Have you tried changing the security settings for your network?

No psychics post on these boards that I know of, so more info would be helpful.

Re: Unable to connect to wireless
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depending on what OS you're running on your laptop and sometimes the wireless driver, some of them seem be having trouble these days with the outdated (obsolete) and technically no longer secure default wireless security protocol that Verizon uses on their routers by default.   64-bit WEP is the default.

So, first order of the business ... change the wireless security settings for your router.  You''ll have to connect via a LAN cable to the network and then login to your router most likely at 192.168.1.1 via a web browser.   If you don't know the password, the account name is "admin" and the password is the serial number from the router.   

Once logged in, click on the wireless settings page and change the wireless security mode from WEP to WPA or WPA2 (the latter preferred if your router supports it) and set a somewhat long and complex password (you don't ever have to type unless you are adding a new device to the network, so choose something relatively long and random to improve the overal security of the key). 

Apply all the settings and then with the laptop disconnected from the LAN cable, try to find the wireless network from your router (you'll be looking for the SSID you saw when you were changing the security settings -- which, BTW, you can change if you wish as well).   Try connecting and providing the wireless password you just setup.   

Report back on your results of if you're not sure of how or where to find the information described in any of these steps.