Unable to send email
morettina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had Verizon FIOS installed mid-September and have been successfully sending & receiving email using my Eudora email client up until about a month ago.  Suddently, one of my email accounts could no longer send email.  It can receive it, but any time I try to send mail, the connection times out so it appears that Verizon might be blocking the host IP address.

I have made no changes to my Eudora software and the hosting company tells me they haven't changed anything either.

For what it's worth, I can't telnet to that host either, which tells me that Verizon is blocking it.

Is there any way to find out what's going on so that I can fix this problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to send email
morettina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no problems getting to it via browser either.  As a matter of fact, right now, I have to use webmail to answer emails since I can't send anything from my PC.  It's not a laptop.  But I do have another computer at another location that has exactly the same setup and successfully sends email via Fairpoint DSL.

If it's worth anything, I can't telnet either to that host.  That was one of the first things I did to troubleshoot. I can ping it fine, but can't telnet. 

However, I just played around a bit, and if I try to telnet using port 465, it seems to work.

So I've gone back and set it to use 465 and require SSL and it's working again.  I had to change my other email personalities though since they use port 587, but it seems that all are working again fine.

I have no idea why this suddenly happened after using FIOS for over a month, but I'm just glad that I finally got it fixed.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

What port are you using for sending the email? Can you provide the exact complete text of the error message you get? Using the wrong port is a common issue. 

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
morettina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm using port 587.  I've tried port 465 but then none of my email goes out.  I have 9 different email addresses to go to various hosts (gmail.com, erols.com, realdiaperassociation.org, pmorganics.com) and this problem is only happening with one of them.

This is the error:  "Could not connect to realdiaperassociation.org. Cause: connection timed out (10060)".

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I can successfully reach realdiaperassociation.org on FiOS using my browser so I don't think Verizon is blocking anything.

I Googled the error message "connection timed out (10060)" and got one hit specifically suggesting increasing the timeout value in Eudora, and for that person doing so fixed their issue. What timeout value do you have set, can you try increasing it?

When you tried port 465, did you also click on the SSL checkbox? Using port 465 requires using SSL, which Verizon does support, I have been using it for many months, but I have no idea whether RDA does.

Is this a laptop you are using? Can you take it somewhere else on another network other than FiOS and get it to work?

I really have no idea what else to suggest or ask. I also have email accounts at other sites, like SBC Global (AT&T), Gmail, plus several others, have not experienced any issues with timeouts on any of them when connected via the FiOS network. I have the timeout set at 1 minute on all of them (usng Windows Live Mail). But of course I do not have an account at RDA.

Keller, TX 76248

morettina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no problems getting to it via browser either.  As a matter of fact, right now, I have to use webmail to answer emails since I can't send anything from my PC.  It's not a laptop.  But I do have another computer at another location that has exactly the same setup and successfully sends email via Fairpoint DSL.

If it's worth anything, I can't telnet either to that host.  That was one of the first things I did to troubleshoot. I can ping it fine, but can't telnet. 

However, I just played around a bit, and if I try to telnet using port 465, it seems to work.

So I've gone back and set it to use 465 and require SSL and it's working again.  I had to change my other email personalities though since they use port 587, but it seems that all are working again fine.

I have no idea why this suddenly happened after using FIOS for over a month, but I'm just glad that I finally got it fixed.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Ah, I just love the mysteries of the internet, and especially email.....

Glad you got it working. Now your next challenge will be to keep it that way... Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes