Upgrade from 75Mb to 150Mb without a technician home visit?
WilliamIII
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS Internet service only.   Being frustrated with no Gigabit connection and no Wireless-N support for the router that I was told would not be replaced, I purchased my own router.  Removed the COAX connection and replaced with a Cat5e cable from the ONT to my inside router over 6 months ago.  I am now upgrading from 75Mb to 150Mb download and Verizon insists on making a service call to accomplish this.  Can someone please explain to me what else is involved other than provisioning the line for a higher speed, which I'm assuming is done from the central office and not onsite.  I was told by one support tech the backup battery for the inside unit needed to be replaced.  "I have internet only, no phone so I don't care if I have service during a power outage.  What now?"

Just wondering if someone can fill me in on something I'm missing or provide a suggestion on how to have my service upgraded minus the service call.  From my perspective, Verizon is wasting a visit, but I will comply if necessary.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade from 75Mb to 150Mb without a technician home visit?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Then the only reason a tech would need to come out is if you were on an older BPON ONT.  

That speed plan needs the faster FiOS architecture.

Check your ONT model and cross reference it here

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you look at your verizon router, if it says Coax WAN and it's lit, then the coax can't do faster than 90mb, so if you get the 150 mb service, then you have to have a technician hook up Ethernet from the service terminal to the router.  COAX WAN will go away and be replaced with ETHERNET WAN as a lit light. 

Also don't forget to have PC's equipped with GIG E Network Cards, so they can take advantage of the higher speeds, and wireless N adapters should be upgraded throughout the house.  one wireless G adapter in the house has the potential for dropping your wireless speed on the whole thing. 

0 Likes
WilliamIII
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, did you actually read all of my post?

I am NOT using the Verizon ActionTec Router.  I am not using COAX.  Replaced the COAX with my own Ethernet/CAT5e cable over 6 months ago from the ONT (service terminal as you call it) to my router.  My router is already capable of GiGE speeds and I'm already running Wireless N throughout my home as the only standard.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Then the only reason a tech would need to come out is if you were on an older BPON ONT.  

That speed plan needs the faster FiOS architecture.

Check your ONT model and cross reference it here

WilliamIII
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is an older BPON ONT.  Thank you for the reference.