Upgrade to FIOS Quantum - Apple environment
DavWie

I currently have the FIOS 25/5 Internet plan and considering one of the Quantum offerings. While the monthly increase is marginal ($10-15)  I'm concerned that I may need to buy a bunch of new hardware to make this work.

On our lower level we currently have a Verizon MI424WR (Rev E) router with the wireless turned off. This feeds directly into an Airport Extreme which feeds into bridges (think that's the right term -- they essentially take an RJ-45 IN and allow for multiple RJ-45 OUT) the home network. All wiring in the home is CAT5E. On the middle level we have a Time Capsule (802.11n) and on the upper level we have an older Airport Express (not sure it's wireless protocol). Both of these are wired.  All three wireless access points are part of an extended network.

We have a number of devices connected via wire. All wireless devices are farily new and all use 802.11n.

Does anyone see any reason why I would need to buy any new equipment to upgrade to Quantum? I'm thinking maybe the Airport Express may be problematic.

Thanks

David/

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade to FIOS Quantum - Apple environment
Hubrisnxs
Legend

your existing hardware should be just fine.  If you are under 100 mb then the existing equip will stay the same,  over 100 mb verizon will send you new equipment to handle the over 100 speed, in fact you will likely get a tech out to switch you to ethernet as well.   If it's under 100 then all of that is unneccessary, as the existing equipment will work just fine. 

Re: Upgrade to FIOS Quantum - Apple environment
DavWie

Thanks very much. Think i'll pull the trigger.

0 Likes