Upgrade to Gen3 FIOS Router
TpaGonzo1

I see that the MI424WR router qualifies for the "replacement exchange program."  What is this program, how do you take advantage o it?  I would like to upgrade to the gigE router to attempt to address some performance issues I have been experiencing with my network.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade to Gen3 FIOS Router
barkbuster72

Is this possible?  I recently upgrated from 10/2 to 75/35 using the Verizon online upgrade application. 

I achieve the new speeds (or very close to the new speeds) with a wired connection but my wireless connection is horrible.  I've contacted FIOS technical support 3 times and have gotten 2 different "solutions" from FIOS Tech Support:  (1) I can upgrade to a wireless N router for $79.99 or some price like that, or (2) Just go to a FIOS store and tell them that Tech Support told you that your router needs to be replaced because it is not performing the way it should (THIS SOUNDS WAY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.) 

So, after waiting 25 minutes on hold to speak to tech support, I went through the motions, Speedtest.net (both wired and wireless).  Achieved close to 75/35 with wired connect and like 19/20 with wireless conenction.  We did the Verizon optimizer tool and tried again.  No real increase with wireless. 

The FIOS tech support basically talked down to me like I was **bleep** and only offered to replace the The M1424 (ACtionTec) router with the same model.  I am going to try this route but is there a way to get a better router w/o having to pay an upgrade fee??  The upgrade fee is TOTALLY LAME of Verizon. 

Not too happy with Verizon Technical Support. 

If I get nowhere with Verizon Tech Support, Can I buy a Wireless Access Point/Wireless Router or some piece of equipment that I can plug into the old M1424 ActionTech router in order to achieve the speeds closer to 75/35 when using wireless?  (Note: I know that there are a lot of items that can distort/disturb the signal broadcasted by the wireless router.  So, I realize that I will probably not get 75/35 from wireless but I think my wireless connection should be better that 20/20 (ish) when paying for 75/35, right???))

Any ideas, assistance would be great!!! 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

they just dropped the price.  if you have 100+ mb speed plan, then you get it for free. 

If you don't, then you need to buy it from what I was told.

used to be $115 - now they dropped to $79.99  

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

yes, you can buy your own N router and install it with the Actiontec.  There are instructions for this around here somewhere...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I use a cheapy 30 dollar N router from trendnet.  it's 2.4 ghz and 100mb ports, so my needs aren't very large, but you can get a similiar deal as low as 30 dollars and up depending on your needs.

I used this guide to set it up.

0 Likes
kevstev

yes, you can buy your own N router and install it with the Actiontec.  There are instructions for this around here somewhere...

So I am guessing there is no way to actually get this from VZ for free? I was shocked to find out last night that my rev F was only 100MB/s. I was trying to figure out why transferring files from my NAS was topping out at 12MB/s. Long story short, it turns out the router's bandwidth was being maxed out. 

I would be willing to buy a new router, I find the wireless performance in my house is pretty poor, and currently have an old flaky Linksys WRT54G used as an access point, but it crashes and needs to be rebooted too often- I was thinking of replacing it anyway.  I see the one offered has a coax jack, so I guess you can swap it in as your main router? Do I actually own my existing router? I wasn't under that impression- I thought that was VZ's and I was just being given access to it. 

-K

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

If you bought your own router, you would still not be able to completely remove the old one, especially if you have FIOS TV.  It is needed for STBs.  Also, if you have coax now a new router would not connect; you would need to switch the ONT to Cat5.

So it's simpler to keep the old one and add a new one.  You basically shut down the wireless on the old one and use the new one.

0 Likes
kevstev

I think you misunderstood what I was asking- Can I use the above referenced VZ offered router and replace my current one with that one- it has the coax/eth converter in it. I don't know if anything special has to be done to swap the two.

0 Likes
milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got and installed the MI424WR Rev I router.  I paid the $115 but the agreed to refund $35 since they just dropped the price.  I got tired of asking for an upgrade. 

I needed 1 Gb speed for the home network and it is a little faster than the Rev D version of the router I had previously.  I did speed tests on my five year old router the the new revision I router.  I get 83.214 Mbps down and 38.135 Mbps up.  It was around 75 Mbps down and 35 Mbps up with the Rev D version of the router.

I don't think I was going to win trying to get a free upgrade at this time unless I had a package that had over 100 Mbps download speeds.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Any special settings you have would need to be put into the new router.  Else it should be a direct replacement. Note that the wireless keys will be different.

@kevstev wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I was asking- Can I use the above referenced VZ offered router and replace my current one with that one- it has the coax/eth converter in it. I don't know if anything special has to be done to swap the two.

0 Likes