Using Verizon Wi-Fi Hotspots
suedono
Enthusiast - Level 1

I need further clarification as to what the difference in using verizons client app to connect to the internet at a hotspot is as to just connecting straight to the hot spot.  Do they have additional service / routers set up that offer faster speeds and security as it transitions you into their fios network? or does it simply just connect you to the same hotspot and features I would get anyways?

Also in cases where the hotspot requires a cost or subscription and verizon wi-fi is available, does the verizon wi-fi offer you service for free? I didn't find that to be the case on a vacation earlier this year as it failed to connect me at all. I spent hours on the phone speaking to tech support and they simply came to the resolution that this location didn't have wi-fi anymore and that the list was out of date.  8 months later the location is still listed there.  I knew this was bad information and that they couldn't get me connected. I just wasn't sure if I actually had to pay the resort fee first, which brings me back to the point, what good is this service that is being labeled a benefit to their subscribers with certain plans and higher?

Re: Using Verizon Wi-Fi Hotspots
tns
Master - Level 2

Fios users get access through the app for free.  Not sure what non-FIOS users see.

Some such hot spots are free to everyone.  e.g. Starbucks.

Re: Using Verizon Wi-Fi Hotspots
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

To my knowledge, there is no advantage to a Verizon FIOS user to log in to a WiFi Hotspot in the manner you suggest (using an alternate internal network). All Verizon is doing is letting you log onto their WiFi network for free rather than having to pay a $x/day or $xx/month charge.

I think the answer to your last question is "not much if any".