Using a secondary router
theoriginalpcmd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had FiOS installed on Tuesday (10/21/2014).  When the service was installed, I was provided with an ActionTec MI424WR (Rev I) modem.  My home network, however, is configured via an ASUS RTAC66R Wireless Router.  I connected the ASUS router to port 4 of the ActionTec Modem, and assigned the ASUS Router a static IP outside the DHCP range of the ActionTec Modem (ASUS Router is assigned IP 192.168.1.151).  Please note that the IP scheme of the ASUS Router is different that the ActionTec Modem.

I have two cloud storage devices connected to my network via the ASUS router, and all of my computers and network devices are set up on the ASUS Router.  Since the installation date, none of my cloud devices are able to connect to the internet, but all of my computers and other devices don't seem to have any issues.  Keeping in mind that I can't disable DHCP on the ActionTec Modem because of the configuration of the three TV set-top boxes, here's what I've tried:

1.  Enabled the DMZ on the ActionTec modem with the IP address of the ASUS Router (192.168.1.151);

2.  Attempted to enable port forwarding on the ActionTec Modem to forward ports 80 & 443 to the same ports on the ASUS Router.

Because of remote network settings & requirements, I cannot use the ActionTec Modem as my home/office network connection -- I can only use it as an MODEM, not a router.  How do I get the ActionTec Modem to pass the WAN IP to the ASUS Router (which would solve all of my problems).

Thanks for your help on this.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using a secondary router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please check out this FAQ. It should help you set up the ASUS as a primary router, based on your setup.

https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/16077

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please check out this FAQ. It should help you set up the ASUS as a primary router, based on your setup.

https://secure.dslreports.com/faq/16077

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check out this FAQ:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

You should be able to find a setup that works for you.

Good Luck.

CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Find the setup that will work for you.

In my setup I am double NATed behind the Actiontec  with all my computer, tablets and smart phones connected to my ASUS router either by Ethernet or WiFi  and I did not find it necessary  to enable any port forwarding to make Google drive or another cloud storage service available to any of my devices.  I also did not have to put my ASUS in the DMZ.

The only port forwarding I do is to enable running an FTP server on my ASUS router.

What you want to do isn't that complicated so follow the detailed instructions .

0 Likes
theoriginalpcmd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you Thank you, Thank you!!!  This was a HUGE help and indeed was easy enough to follow.  I appreciate the quick response.  This solved the problem in a minutes, this after spending HOURS on the phone with Verizon Tech Support.

0 Likes
DrKrizzle
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm looking into doing the same with a Linksys Smart-Wifi that I will want to occasionally access from outside of home.

Can you give a brief summary of what you did?

Thanks!

0 Likes