VPN Issues - Only on FIOS
nethosters

I have Verizon FIOS at home and am not able to connect to my VPN at work. When I am remote in a hotel room, etc. it works fine. I can't ping/find/etc my work network. Here are the details:

VPN Client -> Using SonicWall - It shows "Connected"

I try to remote desktop in and it wont connect

RPD IP: 192.168.128.130

I figure it is something with the router config since I have confirmed that the setup on the PC works every other network I connect to.

Router Status

Firmware Version:
Model Name: A90-9100EM15-10
Hardware Version: A
Serial Number: 08AK09250571
INI File Name: 096-900205-02
INI File Version: A
Physical Connection Type: Multimedia over Coax (MOCA)
Broadband Connection Type: DHCP
Broadband Connection Status: Connected
Broadband IP Address:  
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Broadband MAC Address: 00:18:3a:cd:44:40
Default Gateway: 173.78.21.1
DNS Server(s): 68.238.112.12
Active Status(Router Has Been Active For): 0 hrs 10 mins 6 secs
0 Likes
Re: VPN Issues - Only on FIOS
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you running a SonicWall in your home or is this on the VPN Endpoint (Your Office, which would be a more probable place for it)? Is the Westell's Firewall enabled by any chance? What VPN software/protocol are you using (or is this the Sonicwall you were speaking of?)

0 Likes
Re: VPN Issues - Only on FIOS
pa28pilot
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you know what VPN protocol you're using? It would be something like IPSEC, PPTP, L2TP-IPSEC, or OpenVPN. (There are others but those are the big ones)

Depending on which protocol you're using, it may be necessary to add a line to your Actiontec's (The FIOS router) configuration to allow that particular protocol out. 

It is also possible that your VPN is having trouble with something called "NAT Traversal" which is the mechanism by which your local VPN client and the remote VPN server make sure that one can reach the other across network address translation, which you're almost certainly running unless you bought static IP addresses from Verizon. 

Let us know which protocol it is and we can probably figure this out. 

0 Likes