VPN stopped working after 1 year?
jmedure

I hope somone can help with this.  My wife works from home occasionally and uses a VPN connection on her computer.  My FIOS connection has worked perfectly for the past year for her using default router settings.  Recently verzison updated our TV (sreen changed colors etc) and now for some reason VPN will not work. 

Nothing has changed on her computer settings.  In fact it works just fine at any place with free wifi like starbucks, McDonalds, etc.  What I have tried so far:

1.  Rebooted the router - no luck.

2.  Checked for firmware updates - it is on the most up to date version.

Router info:

Firmware Version: 40.21.10.3
Model Name: MI424WR-GEN3I
Hardware Version: I
Serial Number: {edited for privacy}
Physical Connection Type: Coax
Broadband Connection Type: DHCP
Broadband Connection Status: Connected

3.  Set the firewal to the lowest setting. - no luck.

Verizon can't seem to help 😞   I did an online chat and the refered me to the customer service 877 number.  I called that and after bunches of automated crap I got a person who said they were not trained to help.  What kind of crappy service is that!  So they gave me another number.  I tried this but it was some "premium" service that charges you $. 

I asked if they block any sort of VPN traffic and was told no.  I read on here sometimes they do.  So not sure what believe on that one.

I read on here that some folks had problems with Coax.  I'm not sure why the conneciton type would matter.  Any info on this would be great.

But I'm sure given this "wonderful" service they will only want to either argue or charge me $ to change it (with no garentee that it will work either).  Needless to say i'm a bit agrivated with verizion.  I never had such problems before with Time Warner Cable and never had a tech say they were not trained and sorry they can't really do anything. 

Does anyone have any idea why this VPN works everywhere else on the planet (well and used to for 1 year at home) and now has suddenly stopped.  Did verizon change something?  No router changes were made. 

Thanks,

John M.

0 Likes
Re: VPN stopped working after 1 year?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the vpn client give an error message?

Did you check with your wife's tech support as to what they think the error might be - the client should produce some kind of log that might point out the issue.

0 Likes
jmedure

Unfortunatly it gives no errors message.  However, I do have her IT people checking.  I did valiate FIOS does not block VPN by setting one up for my work and connecting to it.  So it seems to be something that maybe her work needs to fix.  I did notice her work website can not be accessed either by our home network, but it can from other sources.  Makes me wonder if there is something where my FIOS DHCP address matches her work or something weird because everything else works.  LOL

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jmedure wrote:

Unfortunatly it gives no errors message.  However, I do have her IT people checking.  I did valiate FIOS does not block VPN by setting one up for my work and connecting to it.  So it seems to be something that maybe her work needs to fix.  I did notice her work website can not be accessed either by our home network, but it can from other sources.  Makes me wonder if there is something where my FIOS DHCP address matches her work or something weird because everything else works.  LOL

Chances are good it's a routing breakdown at this point, if her work hosts the VPN Concentrator within the same datacenter or address space as their website. They could also be on the same machine for all that matters.

Likely, if you run a traceroute from FiOS to the datacenter, and back you'll see where the connectivity may be dying at.

0 Likes
jmedure

well after waiting for her work helpdesk they just point the finger back to verizon and say lots of people at the federal government have problems with verizion.  Horrible support in my opinion.  

I suspect it is as you said a route break down.  I didn't see on these crap routers where you can renew the DHCP lease to get a new one.    

Verizon support sucks too.  They won't do anything with VPN.  I read some other stuff on here about people saying swapping routers worked, or changing the ONT from coax to copper cable worked.  But if that was all true why does my VPN work for my job and just not hers.  

I think it is the IP they handed me.  Seems like I been stuck with it too for a while now.  But aside from plugging the router in and turning it on, changing password, and some basic stuff verzion seems like they won't help.

Maybe I need to see how much it is to cancel?  Never had this problem before with ISP.  😞

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi jmedure,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes