VPN works great, Internet works great, VPN + Internet - No go?
Kaeri

Switched from TimeWarner to Fios on Friday, the speed is amazing.  I also work from home on Fridays, using a Watchguard VPN to connect to the office. 

On the new Fios connection, the Internet works great (47+ Mbs even on wireless!).

The Watchguard VPN also works great - connects quickly, I can still use remote desktop to get into my work PC, etc.

The TimeWarner set-up uses an Linksys (mine), the Verizon set-up uses an Actiontec M1424WR (theirs).

The oddball thing is that when the VPN is on, the Internet doesn't work. (?)

1. Turned General Security to Low (Accept inbound & outbound) - no luck
  2. I tried putting my laptop in the DMZ - no luck,
  3. I tried port fwding L2TP - no luck,
  4. I tried port fwding L2TP, HTTP & HTTPS - no luck

The ipconfig results for the VPN under each carrier (TW vs Fios are identical)

The config for the wireless connection is different:

TW:

Deafult Gateway: 192.168.1.13 (my old router's IP)

DHCP Server: 192.168.1.13

DNS Server 1: 209.18.47.61

DNS Server 2: 209.18.47.62

Fios:

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server1: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server2: Blank

I thought it might have been the DNS server, so I added the 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 to Fios.. it shows up in the config, but not in the actual connection.

Any help would be appreciated... !

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: VPN works great, Internet works great, VPN + Internet - No go?
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

No idea why this isn't working for you but one possible solution is to double NAT your old Linksys router behind the Actiontec.   Then when you need to connect to the office connect your PC to the network using the Linksys.

I run 100% of my Internet traffic (excluding set top boxes and video streaming ) through a double NATed VPN router and it creates no problems for me.   Even though you will be running the VPN on a PC it should work for you.   

0 Likes
Re: VPN works great, Internet works great, VPN + Internet - No go?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your post is a little confusing.

You refer to TW and Fios, are you still using both? or are you just using the linksys router and are referring to that as TW?  If so how did you connect the linksys router to the the Actiontec router? - lan - wan or lan to lan.

When you are on the vpn, ipconfig should be showing you an address on your remote vpn. Is your remote vn network also using the192.168.1 subnet? It does appear to show different dns servers so it looks like you are on some kind of vpn network.

I use a cisco vpn in a double natt'd setup all the time with no issues.  When I want to access the internet via the vpn connection I need to use the designated proxy on the remote network to be able to get thru the firewall to the internet.

0 Likes