Verizon Customer Non-Support
brucek90

This is a transcript from an online chat with Verizon Support.

I was trying to upload a csv file to my webmail account. Even though the capability to do this is clearly indicated I was informed you actually can't upload a csv file of contacts - unbelievble! I wonder what other advertised capabilities don't actually exist?

Chat Subject: FiOS Internet (E-Mail) Your Question: I am trying to upload a csv file into my address book. I keep getting an error message saying the format is incorrect. I have 3 columns labeled firstname, lastname, Email address. Are there specific header names needed? A Verizon Service Representative will be with you shortly. Thank you. (15:15:18) Agent Randy has joined. (15:15:38)

Randy : Chat ID for this session is 12040929055. (15:15:38)

Randy(15:15:43): Thank you for using Live Chat technical support, my name is Randy. I apologize for any delays in reaching an agent. Please remember we are only able to assist you with technical support and questions regarding your FIOS services. If you have any billing or order questions please call 1-800-VERIZON.
Randy(15:17:39): Thank You, One moment please while I look up your information.

Randy(15:19:34): If you are trying to upload this into the online webmail then it will not work as you would have to enter each one separately. If this is for your Outlook or Outlook Express that should work, however this is outside of our support through FIOS technical support and you would need to check with Microsoft for assistance with this

Bruce (15:20:51): I am inside of Verizon webmail where it specifically takes you through the steps to upload contacts into verizon webmail!!

Randy(15:22:18): I do apologize but you would need to enter each contact individually in order to get your address book updated into the webmail. I am sorry for the confusion on this

Bruce (15:23:57): This is copied from verizon webmail Bruce (15:24:17): Verizon Webmail allows you to Import Contacts from Outlook Express / Microsoft Outlook / Windows Mail
(Vista OS) using csv (Comma Separated Values) file. Learn How
Bruce (15:24:58): Step 2: Importing them to Verizon Webmail

Sign into Verizon Webmail
a. Click on the Contacts icon on the top left panel.
b. Then Click on More... on the Contacts Toolbar
c. Click on Import
d. Click Browse to Locate the .csv you created with your contacts
e. Then Click on Import Contacts

Randy(15:25:08): Ok

Randy(15:25:55): If you are following these steps then if it is indeed working then you should have no issues

Bruce(15:26:10): Exactly my point

Randy(15:26:16): However if it is not then I would be unable to do anything more with this

Bruce (15:26:52): I am following the procedures - What headers are supposed to be on the csv file?

Bruce(15:29:27): are you there? Randy(

15:29:43): I am sorry but I am not certain what you could try with this, as this is not something we support, as this is not a feature that actually functions, although you may see different on your screen

Bruce (15:30:35): What does that mean? There's a capablity that isn't really a capability?

Randy(15:31:36): Apparantly so. As I had stated earlier this is not a function that the webmail has enabled at this time. I do apologize for the confusion on this

Bruce (15:32:32): ok - I just wasted over an hour trying to make an advertised capaability work

Randy(15:35:25): I do apologize for this. I as well wish this would be removed to avoid such confusion as this Your session is now closed. Thank you,have a nice day.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Customer Non-Support
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The agent is confused, the feature works fine. (I just tried it again to be sure.) What program are you trying to export from? I can try to give you a step-by-step.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

I point to http://webmail.verizon.net/signin/html/LearnHow.htm

If you followed the directions to the T, it should work.

--

I was told

1 Of 1 inserted successfully.

Your contacts have been uploaded and will appear within your webmail contacts list as soon as we have processed them.

How fast it takes them to process my data, I have no idea...

^^

0 Likes
swilk2

Hello my name is Stan this is my first time using this site I hope I'm using it correctly.

I too contacted Verizon Chat for help awhile back.  I got the same answer.  They said it is not supported and I need to enter each address separately.  I followed the instructions and exported my contacts from Windows mail in Vista to an .csv (Comma Separated Values) file on my desktop.  When I try to import to verizon webmail I get this message.

"IMPORT CONTACTS  

Verizon Webmail allows you to Import Contacts from Outlook Express / Microsoft Outlook / Windows Mail
(Vista OS) using csv (Comma Separated Values) file.
Learn How

Only .csv files exported from Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail formats are supported. CSV file should contain Firstname or Lastname and Email address.

Choose CSV File to Import"
0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@swilk2 wrote:

Hello my name is Stan this is my first time using this site I hope I'm using it correctly.

I too contacted Verizon Chat for help awhile back.  I got the same answer.  They said it is not supported and I need to enter each address separately.  I followed the instructions and exported my contacts from Windows mail in Vista to an .csv (Comma Separated Values) file on my desktop.  When I try to import to verizon webmail I get this message.

"IMPORT CONTACTS  

Verizon Webmail allows you to Import Contacts from Outlook Express / Microsoft Outlook / Windows Mail
Learn How

Only .csv files exported from Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail formats are supported. CSV file should contain Firstname or Lastname and Email address.

Choose CSV File to Import"

The main thing you have to do to get the .csv file to import successfully is to export only the First Name, Last Name, and Email Address fields. I should be able to get access to a computer with Windows Mail on it this evening. I'll type out the exact process and post it as soon as I can. 🙂

0 Likes
swilk2

I tried something different.  When I export my contacts to a .csv file and open it, it opens as an excel chart.

I found a web site http://forums.plaxo.com/archive/index.php/t-3303.html   and this reply.

"joseph
March 30th, 2007, 09:30 AM
It sounds like on your computer Excel is set to automatically open .csv files. This can happen sometimes, and it's definitely annoying, but you can always save-as from excel (hit F12 if you don't see a menu) and save it as a .csv file and then use that in Yahoo. There's nothing Plaxo can do to fix this, but hopefully this will help you get around the problem. Thanks! js"
From the f12 key I named the file.  Then in "save as type:"  I chose the CSV (comma delimited) (*.csv)  option.  I hit save,  a box came up saying
 " adderssbook2.csv, (the name I gave the file) may not contain features that are not compatable with csv (comma delimited).  Do you want to keep the workbook in this format?
To keep this format, which leaves out any incompatable features, click Yes.
To preserve the features, click no. Then save in the latest Excel format.
To see what might be lost, click Help.
I clicked Yes
This created a file on the desk top that when I went back to my email and followed the directions to Import contacts.  I got this message.
IMPORT CONTACTS  

Learn How

55 Of 194 inserted successfully.

Your contacts have been uploaded and will appear within your webmail contacts list as soon as we have processed them.
Choose CSV File to Import

You may also use Trueswitch to import your address book from your old account.
Trueswitch eases the transition to your new email account. You’ll be able to stay in touch with your contact, continue to receive emails arriving at your old address and also automatically copy your address book and more to your new account.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Good to know! Appreciate you posting your solution here so it can be shared with others.

0 Likes