Verizon FIOS DNS resolve issue
djjsin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been notice the Verizon FIOS DNS Servers are doing something that is not normal, that is causing my VPN connection to my work to stop.

Verizon FIOS dns is resolving non-existent domains to 92.242.140.21 which is searchassistant.verizon.com

Why are they doing this.  This is not how DNS should work.  If the domain name is not valid, they should not be returning a response.  How can i ersolve this?  I dont want DNS to resolve anything to 92.242.140.21 unless that is the actual address to resolve it to.

we have a bunch of apps that use netbios names.  they used to work via a vpn connection to the office just fine.  usually the dns system would not be able to resolve the name, causing the VPN connection DNS to resolve the name to the proper internal ip adderss.  But now that fios is resolving to 92.242.140.21 it never goes to our vpn connection DNS to do a name resolution, and no one can resolve our apps url when on a FIOS network with a VPN connection.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon FIOS DNS resolve issue
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Opting out of DNS Assistance | FiOS Internet ... - Verizon

Opting out of DNS Assistance Opting out of DNS Assistance When you enter a domain name into the address bar of your Web browser, DNS (Domain Name Service) translates the domain name into an IP address that your computer understands. Your computer then displays the Web site based on this IP address.

If you prefer that the DNS server display an error message when it can't match the domain you've entered with an IP address, you can change your DNS settings in your hardware device (router, gateway, or modem) or in your Operating System. Either method prevents DNS Assistance servers from displaying a page of links to sites that have similar domain names to the one you entered.

Note: If you change the DNS settings in your Operating System, you could encounter problems if you travel with this computer. You will probably have to change back to the original settings to connect to a hotel network, for example. Changing the DNS settings in the hardware device requires that you know the device user name and password.

Use the graphics below to select the router or gateway you're using. Click on the name of the device for directions to opt out of the DNS assistance that tries to resolve errors in the domain that's been entered.
Click here for instructions.
Verizon MI424WR
Router

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Opting out of DNS Assistance | FiOS Internet ... - Verizon

Opting out of DNS Assistance Opting out of DNS Assistance When you enter a domain name into the address bar of your Web browser, DNS (Domain Name Service) translates the domain name into an IP address that your computer understands. Your computer then displays the Web site based on this IP address.

If you prefer that the DNS server display an error message when it can't match the domain you've entered with an IP address, you can change your DNS settings in your hardware device (router, gateway, or modem) or in your Operating System. Either method prevents DNS Assistance servers from displaying a page of links to sites that have similar domain names to the one you entered.

Note: If you change the DNS settings in your Operating System, you could encounter problems if you travel with this computer. You will probably have to change back to the original settings to connect to a hotel network, for example. Changing the DNS settings in the hardware device requires that you know the device user name and password.

Use the graphics below to select the router or gateway you're using. Click on the name of the device for directions to opt out of the DNS assistance that tries to resolve errors in the domain that's been entered.
Click here for instructions.
Verizon MI424WR
Router
reltz

I ve been having similar resolve host delay issues  [sporadic, up to 10 secs]  with Verizon chosen DNS 71.242.0.12 and 71.252.0.12 -- across browsers and now two  verizon routers.  It doesn't matter whether you let the router serve these or directly use these IPs.  Other DNS are fine.   Verizon Customer support seems to completely lack the tools to diagnose.   I had to spend over an hour on the phone just to get someone (a supervisor) who even understood what a dns was, but all I got was a more current router and no real help.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello reltz

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page here on the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes