Verizon MI424WR On/Off Switch Usage
AL102
Enthusiast - Level 2

After every internet or Cable on-demand session, I typically shut-off my router via the on/off switch on the back of the router (I do not unplug the router).  I turn the router back on when I need internet access or need access to on-demand options.  It takes a minute or two to boot-up.

My question is:  Are there any long-term detrimental issues with shutting off and turning on the router on a daily basis (sometimes 2-3 times a day)?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon MI424WR On/Off Switch Usage
Pstreicher11
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Al,

Good question. My guess is it won't hurt a thing. Electronics from my experience is unpredictable. A switch may last 1,000's of cycles on and off or it may fail within a hundred or less. You just never know. The rest of the electronics package in the router could be the same thing. I use to have to power cycle my router about once a week, sometimes more because the wireless would quit working for our family laptop. Now, for some unknown reason it's been working great for weeks without having to power cycle it. I'm wondering what is different but I'm sure I'll never know. Did Verizon update the firmware in the router without my knowing? There are so many updates going on in the background these days that we just have no idea what's being done to our stuff.

Worst case, if the router fails to turn on for you, you just make a call to Verizon and have them send you another one. No telling how long this would take though. I'm on my third router in two years now and a second power supply. I'm waiting for the next failure to happen. It took Verizon days to get me a router shipped to me. I'd like to have a spare but don't know how to go about getting one like theirs. Oh well, Happy computing!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Pstreicher11
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Al,

Good question. My guess is it won't hurt a thing. Electronics from my experience is unpredictable. A switch may last 1,000's of cycles on and off or it may fail within a hundred or less. You just never know. The rest of the electronics package in the router could be the same thing. I use to have to power cycle my router about once a week, sometimes more because the wireless would quit working for our family laptop. Now, for some unknown reason it's been working great for weeks without having to power cycle it. I'm wondering what is different but I'm sure I'll never know. Did Verizon update the firmware in the router without my knowing? There are so many updates going on in the background these days that we just have no idea what's being done to our stuff.

Worst case, if the router fails to turn on for you, you just make a call to Verizon and have them send you another one. No telling how long this would take though. I'm on my third router in two years now and a second power supply. I'm waiting for the next failure to happen. It took Verizon days to get me a router shipped to me. I'd like to have a spare but don't know how to go about getting one like theirs. Oh well, Happy computing!

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Pstreicher1 wrote:

I'd like to have a spare but don't know how to go about getting one like theirs.

You can pick one up on eBay quite cheaply.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1311&_nkw=actiontec+mi424wr&_sacat=See-All-Categ...

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Al wrote:

After every internet or Cable on-demand session, I typically shut-off my router via the on/off switch on the back of the router (I do not unplug the router).  I turn the router back on when I need internet access or need access to on-demand options.  It takes a minute or two to boot-up.

My question is:  Are there any long-term detrimental issues with shutting off and turning on the router on a daily basis (sometimes 2-3 times a day)?

Thanks

The router should be left on since guide data for the STBs downloads in the background.

With the router shut off you may find your self without guide data.

What is your concern about leaving it on?  Electricity usage?  Security?

If it's security, the firewall in the router blocks all inbound ports.

AL102
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's actually both.  Electrical usage (I noticed that the router was warm even when I was not using the computer and transmitting/receiving data) and security (I changed the security to WPA2, but guessed that the best security was to shut off the router).

Thanks for the responses.

AL

0 Likes