Verizon Router upgrade
belaflek73

Hi,

I had bought this amazing Denon receiver that has this thing called Airplay.  Basically I should be able to go to my iphone and select a song to play and then seemlessly have it played over the denon connected to my home theater system.  Anyways, it didn't work.

I called Denon and complained and they said it's probably my router.  I thought, how could it be the router?  I called verizon and they said it must be a problem with the Denon.  Then I called Apple and they blamed the router.  Ok so 2 against the router, 1 against Denon....

IT WAS THE ROUTER!!!!  I found a forum saying to disable IGMP proxy on the verizon router.  Once I did this everything worked great.

2 questions:

1.) is disabling the IGMP proxy going to have any negative effects??

2.) why does verizon provide such terrible routers?  I want an N network.  If I buy my own router can I still use it, or am I stuck with verizon's router?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Router upgrade
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@belaflek73 wrote:
I want an N network.  If I buy my own router can I still use it, or am I stuck with verizon's router?

The answer you seek i saw at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

@belaflek73 wrote:

1.) is disabling the IGMP proxy going to have any negative effects??

Multicasting allows one computer on the Internet to send content to multiple other computers that have identified themselves as interested in receiving the originating computer's content.

When is IGMP used?
It is used when one host needs to send data to many destination hosts (multicasting). Read More »

What is use of IGMP protocol?
internet graphic Microsoft PowerPoint Read More »

Some of that is foreign to me as to how a home user would benifit unless they were doing something more than a regular normal internet user would do.  

I think it's more for Verizon than it is for you,  but I have a really elementary knowledge of it. sorry I couldn't give you a better breakdown on it.

0 Likes