Verizon wireless router
jds21

Need more ports than the 4 on Verizon router.  Can I hook up a router to a router through one of the ports?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon wireless router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jds2 wrote:

Need more ports than the 4 on Verizon router.  Can I hook up a router to a router through one of the ports?

Yes

Either Lan to Lan - bridged

or

Lan to Wan - the secondary router will be a different subnet - configure the secondary router before connecting it to have a different subnet to the VZ router - i.e. something other than 192.168.1

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Or you can go LAN to LAN and just purchase a low cost switch.

Many have chosen to get another router for better and fast wireless connections. In addition to more LAN ports, with that configuration you may wish to place the second router in a different location for a better signal.

If you want only LAN ports a switch may be cheaper. Remember another router will most likely give you 4 ports on another network, and if you go lan to lan you will have 3 spare on the new and 3 on the old.

I had a 16 port 10/100 switch connected to my Verizon router and had more than enough LAN ports. But that was before I decided to go Gigabit on the home LAN.

0 Likes
jds21

I can't just run a cable from one of the open ports on the VZ supplied router to another router?  If I need a switch, where does the switch go?  My second router has 8 wired  ports only (no wireless)

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@jds2 wrote:

I can't just run a cable from one of the open ports on the VZ supplied router to another router?

Yes, you can use the second router as just a switch.  Run a patch cable from a LAN port on the Actiontec to a LAN port on the second router.  Besure to disable the DHCP server in the second router and make sure the address of the second router is on the same subnet but doesn't conflict with the Actiontec.

@jds2 wrote:

If I need a switch, where does the switch go?  

You would connect the switch in exactly the same way.  It's just a mush simpler solution since there is no DHCP server or IP addressing to worry about.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jds2 wrote:

I can't just run a cable from one of the open ports on the VZ supplied router to another router?  If I need a switch, where does the switch go?  My second router has 8 wired  ports only (no wireless)

If your 8 port router is really a router, not a switch (it will have a wan port on it),  and it's a gigabit router you'd be better off connecting a lan port of the VZ router to the wan port of your router.  If you connect it lan port to lan port I believe you will limit the switch ports on your router to be the same speed as the VZ router which is 100mb.

Depends whether you do much device to device internal communications, obviosuly at 1gb speeds it will be faster.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

@jds2 wrote:

If your 8 port router is really a router, not a switch (it will have a wan port on it),  and it's a gigabit router you'd be better off connecting a lan port of the VZ router to the wan port of your router.  If you connect it lan port to lan port I believe you will limit the switch ports on your router to be the same speed as the VZ router which is 100mb.

Depends whether you do much device to device internal communications, obviosuly at 1gb speeds it will be faster.

Must be too early in the morning still.  Am thinking hubs not switches.  The swicth backplane will still be at 1gb.

0 Likes