Wall Outlet with Ethernet/Coax Port
Guillo1

Good morning,

I have Verizon FiOS. The Router is set up in the living room next to the TV. When the Verizon guy hooked everything up, he said the Ethernet/Coax Outlets around the apt. are "live". Meaning if we take the router to another room or wall and use that outlet, it should work.

Im setting up a computer and would like to be able to use one of those walls for Internet. This PC doesn't have a Wireless Card, and there is no room for one. I'm trying to avoid running a long Ethernet cable from the Wireless box, to this new PC.

Is there any way to use one fo these outlets without movingthe FiOS router? Can I get a simple Non-wireless router to use on another wall/room in addition to the FiOS router provided by Verizon? DO I need to order another router through Verizon?

tl;dr - I want to use the etherner outlet in my room. 😄

Thanks for the help!

Guillo

0 Likes
Re: Wall Outlet with Ethernet/Coax Port
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If the tech hooked up the ethernet port in the other room just plug your computer into that oultlet with a ethernet cable and it should work.

0 Likes
Re: Wall Outlet with Ethernet/Coax Port
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

The Ethernet jacks are only live if the other end  is plugged into a LAN port on your router or if you have have your own equipment  and  it is connected to that device.

I moved into a building that had Ethernet jacks in all the rooms, but the cables near the OTN were not terminated so I had to pull them out of the wall, terminate them and then connect them to a LAN port on a router.

Even then I had to redo two of the wall jacks as ther were incorrectly terminated.   Well worth the work as I get my full 75/75 connection speed on all devices that I can connect using an Ethernet cable.

The best thing for you to do is to purchase and Ethernet cable tester and test all the cable runs in your home.

0 Likes