Wan Coax Link Down. Wan Coax Link up
Chris_Y

About 2 weeks ago I had this problem where the Wan Coax Link would drop and come back up instantly every 15 minutes or so, all day, everyday. I verified this by looking at the router system logging.

1. I got a shipped a new rounter on 7/22. That did not fix the problem.

2. I had a tech come out on 7/24. The ONT got replaced and he took the coax from the tv and plugged it into the router (router coax into TV). That did not fix the problem.

3. Sunday(7/25) another tech came buy. I was not home for this, but he messed around where the splitter was by all our coax connections. It did not seem to fix it.

4. About an hour after he left I unplugged the router and connected it directly to the ONT with a Coax. My connection only dropped once in 2 hours. Ok, so I put the router back in its original spot inside the house. Only got one disconnect in about 6-7 hours. Not sure what's up with that.

5. Internet has been working ok. Link would only drop a couple times a day.

6. Now tonight (8/2 10:00PM PST) I get home and start playing a game and using MSN. I notice I get dc'd. Log back in and get dc'd again a few minutes later.  I check the log and the Coax link has been going up and down since 6:21PM PST till Midnight.  It was going down every minute till 7:33PM PST. The disconnects slowed down since 7:33 and it goes down every 10-15 minutes like it normally did before 7/25. Has stopped disconnecting for about an hour from midnight to 1AM, but it has started back up again with continuous disconnects every 5-20 minutes.

What could this problem be?

Thanks

Whittier, California

0 Likes
Re: Wan Coax Link Down. Wan Coax Link up
rupok93
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am thinking maybe power problems. Maybe the power outlet where your ONT is a bad power outlet. From what I can see verizon did everything I could think of but it didn't solve it. Try to plug all your equipment somewhere else and see if it helps.

Another thing might be interference. Probably unlikely but not impossible.

0 Likes
gmalafsky
Enthusiast - Level 1

My problem is not as sever as yours but I get unexplained WAN droppage every week or so. There is no apparent correlation to anything occuring in my home or neighborhood. This is a problem since I host business servers in my basement and require good QoS. I am still investigating whether this is a router issue or a Verizon service issue. If the latter, I am unsure why the router does not automatically reacquire its WAN IP.

prisaz
Legend

@gmalafsky wrote:

My problem is not as sever as yours but I get unexplained WAN droppage every week or so. There is no apparent correlation to anything occuring in my home or neighborhood. This is a problem since I host business servers in my basement and require good QoS. I am still investigating whether this is a router issue or a Verizon service issue. If the latter, I am unsure why the router does not automatically reacquire its WAN IP.

If you are running business servers in your basement, I suppose you have a business account. I would suggest switching the ONT to Ethernet and run a good quality network cable to your router. If you have an Ethernet cable ran from the ONT to the router Verizon can switch your IP over to Ethernet, and it would be seamless.

You could even use your own router at that point. But Verizon will not support routers they did not provide. I have placed the Verizon router behind mine with great success. As long as the Verizon supplied router can access the Internet for STB guide updates all works well. But make sure the Verizon router works over Ethernet before you attemp this change. Be prepaired to place the router back into default configuration with it as primary if you call for support.

For the OP, are you running peer to peer software? There have been many postings regarding the number of connections that can be made through the Verizon router. Games are connection intensive and could have many Internet connections open at one time. Cycle the power on the router with your computer off, and try the service without these peer to peer applications running. It could also be malicious software running on your PC.

Just some thought that may help.

atantekeier
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the exact problem, it disconnects me only after around 6pm at night till past midnight.

I have reset the ONT and the router many times and doesnt seams to fix.

I am calling them tomorrow to complain but from the many posts I have read Im scared they will come out and fidle with things and not fix anything. But I guess its what I have to do

Its very frusterating when playing with friends online and I get disconnected every 10 min or so and completely shuts me out of the game.

this seams to be a verizon issue and I dont think they care to be honest, but I know for sure I will be dropping verizon if this issue doesnt get fixed and never use them again and also make sure no friends of mine use verizon.

0 Likes
montyyao

how did they fixed this problem?  I"m seeing the same.. my WAN/COAX goes down randomly, many times in the day.  thanks.

0 Likes