Want to add additional wireless router
Kurvenal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had FiOS installed and I am in a situation where the wireless router is located in a utility room one floor below my living space, which is wired with a few ethernet jacks connected to the router.  The result is that I do not have enough wired ethernet connections in my home office to allow me to plug in a VoIP phone, both my PCs, etc and the wireless connection is not strong because the router is too far away.  I was wondering if I could connect another router to one of the ethernet jacks in my home office and use the ports in the router for wired connections and the WiFI for other wireless connections in the house (assuming I turn off wireless broadcasting on the router downstairs).  I am just not sure if the Verizon FiOS setup will let me do this. 

I am also not sure what wireless frequency the Verizon router is using.  From the photos it looks like I have a Verizon MI424WR.  I just tried accessing the router to check the configuration but it looks like a router password was set even though none was noted on the Quick Reference Guide left by the technician who installed it, so I am being denied access. 

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Want to add additional wireless router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The password for your router should be either password, password1, or the serial number of the router. 

Do you have coax already running to your home office?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Kurvenal wrote:

The result is that I do not have enough wired ethernet connections in my home office

So you have at least one wired connection between your home office and the Actiontec router in the utility room?

If so, simply connect an inexpensive switch to the existing ethernet jack.  Switches come with 5, 8, 12 or more ports.

Do you have a coax jack in your home office or nearby on that floor?  If you have a coax connection from the ONT to the Actiontec, the Actiontec can be placed anywhere you have an active coax connection.

@Kurvenal wrote:

I was wondering if I could connect another router to one of the ethernet jacks in my home office and use the ports in the router for wired connections and the WiFI for other wireless connections in the house (assuming I turn off wireless broadcasting on the router downstairs).  

Yes, you can do that also.

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

@Kurvenal wrote:

I am also not sure what wireless frequency the Verizon router is using. 

That depends on the version of the router.  Since this is a recent install, you probably have a rev. F Actiontec.  The rev F supports 802.11g and DRAFT 802.11n (no mimo, no 5Ghz).  The Actiontec default to automatic channel selection.  It doesn't always make the best choice.  YOu can change the channel on the Wireless Settings page in the router.

@Kurvenal wrote:

I just tried accessing the router to check the configuration but it looks like a router password was set even though none was noted on the Quick Reference Guide left by the technician who installed it, so I am being denied access. 

I can't login to the VZ router

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Well, Anti-Phish, if the OP has coax already running to his home office for a TV I was going to recommend an ECB2200 MoCA adapater with a simple switch and WAP, or the MoCA adapter and a additional router running as a switch and a WAP, rather than any of the more complex solutions in that BBR link.  🙂