Wanting to creat a seperate "kids" wifi network
Enpen
Enthusiast - Level 1

As parents we want to set up a seperate kids wifi network with seperate filtering software and the ability to turn it off when we want to enforce the rules. We would then have a seperate network for Netflix and our use. What is teh simplest way to set this up?

0 Likes
Re: Wanting to creat a seperate "kids" wifi network
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Enpen wrote:

As parents we want to set up a seperate kids wifi network with seperate filtering software and the ability to turn it off when we want to enforce the rules. We would then have a seperate network for Netflix and our use. What is teh simplest way to set this up?

Get another router/wap and connect it VZ lan port to your router WAN port giving your router it's own dhcp server on it's own subnet.

Enpen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the information,

Are there any important facts to know when choosing the additional router or do you have any reccomendations for a great router (larger house, multiple users)? I am concerned that they will be physically close to eachother and the wifi signals may interfere.

I would also be gratefulf for any step by step advise you could give or point to as I dont understand the part where you say " giving your router it's own dhcp server on it's own subnet." is this done as part of teh setup of the new router or the VZ router?

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

A couple of caveats:

1.   First if you have "crafty teenagers"   no solution will keep them from defeating your controls if they search on Youtube or have devious friends.

2.  There is no router that will give whole house coverage in all circumstances particularly if you want very good to excellent video streaming.  It even becomes more problematic if you want multiple vide streams simultaneously.  

To answer your question regarding a second WiFi network.  This is called double NATing and some people will tell you not to do it but it works fine and will not slow down your connection speed.  I use a double NATed setup and have used it for over five years and it works for me.

The steps to setup a double network do the following assuming the IP of your primary router is 192.168.1.1:

1.  On your second router go into the WAN connection type and select type static and set the WAN IP of  your second router to 192.168.1.2.

2.  Again on the second router set the LAN IP for the router to 192.168.2.1   (lots of options but to keewp it simple follow my suggestions.)   Be sure the DHCP server is on and set the range to say 192.168.2.100  -192.168.2.120.

3.   Under the Wireless section set the channel on the 2.4 Ghz radios to 1,6 or 11.    It needs to be diffrent than the channel on your primary router.   Be sure to check that your primary router isn't set to automatic but  either 1,6 or 11 and it is diffrent than your secondary router.  If the router has a 5 Ghz radio set it up also.   Assign SSIDs to the radio that are diffrent from your primary router.  After you are done getting the setup working change the WiFi passwords/paraphrases on your primary router so your kids can no longer access this router.  Use strong paswwords 14+ characters, uper & lower case numbers, special sysmbols etc.   Also be sure you are no longer using the default password for administrative privleges on either router.

Run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the primary router to a LAN port on the secondary router.

Onece you have the secondary network working you can setup the parental controlls and timers to turn off the WiFi radios and block Internet access, various sites and keywords  (Not every router has all of these features).   You probably will want to look at using OpenDNS and the family controls that they offer to backstop what your router can do.

Regardless of what controls you setup you will still need to monitor your kids viewing habits as where there is a will there is a way to defeat most if not all settings.

My suggestion is you purchase an ASUS router and flash it with Merlin's improved firmware.   Very straightforward and almost impossible to brick your router in the process.