Westell 9100 router and Quantum service
ImStillaYankee
Enthusiast - Level 2

My upgrade to Quantum will be completed tomorrow but now I'm wondering how a b/g router (my current Westell 9100) will be able to do 75down wirelessly.  Yes, I've read the posts that say it can handle 90 wired but that's not why I'm upgrading my service.  I thought the router was a b/g/n router like my old 4 year old gaming router but just checked the management console and found it's only a b/g.  My wifi is usually pretty slow as it is (currently have 25/25) as I get speeds ranging from 1.5-25 down but mostly it's in the 6-8 range.

Any ideas?  Will I get a new router or should I ask for a new 1?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Westell 9100 router and Quantum service
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon may send you a new router. The Westells are Wireless G units and do not have Wireless N radios in them. So, 25/25 in a single direction will be the most you'll get out of in most conditions. 30Mbps, maybe, but Wired is going to give you what you're looking for out of that router. If Verizon doesn't send you another router, just get a $30 AP and hang it off the Westell. Works fine and is less bothersome trying to get another unit from Verizon.

0 Likes
ImStillaYankee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the prompt reply, very much appreciated.  And thanks for the info, I'll keep my fingers crossed to see UPS tomorrow morning. 🙂

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome 🙂

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Personally I have my own router in front of the Fios router and have the IP that the fios Router gets DMZ as a reserved IP for that device so I don't have any issues.

If you have Ethernet you would be better off getting your own router and putting the fios router behind it.

0 Likes