Westell 9100 series 3 and apple TV
burma1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am now not able to connect to a Mac itunes with 3 apple TV's in the house I never had this problem before. I was wondering if anyone had any info on opening ports (how to do it with this POS gateway Verizon supplies) or if they have any fixes for this. 

Thanks in advance 

frustrated 

Burma 

0 Likes
Re: Westell 9100 series 3 and apple TV
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@burma wrote:

I am now not able to connect to a Mac itunes with 3 apple TV's in the house I never had this problem before. I was wondering if anyone had any info on opening ports (how to do it with this POS gateway Verizon supplies) or if they have any fixes for this. 

Are the Apple TVs and the MAC all connected to the switch ports on the Westell?

If so, your problem is not with the router.

You don't need to open any ports to communicate between the switch ports.

Re: Westell 9100 series 3 and apple TV
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
I've known Apple products to use a program called Bonjour to communicate with each other on the network. My own experience with this software shows one thing, and that it tends to be very flaky on anything that is not an AirPort Extreme. It works on a basis of Multicast DNS, which is what is used to identify devices on the network. While I know there are some bugs that routers have with this type of data due to the firmware, I would take very good bets in a power off of all three Apple TVs and the machine running iTunes, then turning on the PC with iTunes and from there, turning on the Apple TVs will solve this issue at least temporarily. I would also include the router as the last and first thing to shut down/reboot in this list, too. If this doesn't help then check the obvious to see if perhaps the Apple TVs are actually on the network and can use Internet services. Once on the network, there isn't much the router can do to cause the devices to not see each other. There is really nothing stopping the devices to be honest.