Westell A90-9100 Router password
starranger001
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, I've tried all the defaults and had no success.  Tried the router serial number, the WEP ID and the defaults of password and password1.  I would have to believe Verizon has the password for my router recorded somewhere.  Is there any way I can authenticate my identity to Verizon so that I can access my router (I have a range issue with the Verizon issued router and support tells me that they won't guarantee access more than 10 feet from their router).  Since I get no support from Verizon with placing a computer in my bedroom and having it wirelessly access their router I figured the next best thing I could do is add a 802.11N of my own so that I could extend my network range.  Not suprisingly, the two routers need tweaked to play nice.  I've told my router (Linksys E2000) to not do DHCP and pass through all traffic and turned off its internal firewall.  Still no joy, so I figure I need to access the A90-9100 admin page. 

0 Likes
Re: Westell A90-9100 Router password
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

There isn't a default userid and password for a Westell router.  Normally the installer would set it to admin and password1 as the standard they used for the Actiontech routers.

Just reset the router by pushing the reset button on the back.  The when it comes back at the first login attempt you will be prompted to select a userid and password - your choice what they are.

There should be no tweaking involved to add another router.

First configure it to be using a second subnet such as 192.168.2 with a static address for the wan side on the 192.168.1 subnet.  Leave dhcp running and configure the wireless setting the way you want them and then connect the wan port of the new router to a lan port on the Westell and it should come right up.

However it would still be a good idea to reset your Westell to get access to the admin pages.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If you have turned off the secondary router's DHCP, you can give it a static IP address on the Verizon network. Say 192.168.1.2 and exlude that IP address from the Verizon router's DHCP address pool under the advanced setting for IP address distribution.

Connect the routers LAN to LAN, This would give you a second access point on the same network and the Verizon router would still manage everything, and you could sill connect into your second router to manage it. You would still need to configure WEP or better WAP/2 on the second router acting as an AP only. But at this point your second router would only be acting as a wireless access point bridge, and not a router. All your hardware would remain on the same network which may be desirable. Also it gives you additional hardwired connections on the same network as the Verizon router.

I purchased a wireless Hawking AP HWABN1 which does no routing but handles wireless security and keeps eveything on the same network as my seconday Linux router box I have  chosen to use for security.

Unless you want seperate networks for a reason, this maybe an alternative configuration. I know it wastes the routeing functions of your new router, but will give you the wireless features you are looking for. The wirless AP I purchased is down to like $70 now, I think.

0 Likes
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

actiontec and linksys are using the same starting ip...192.168.1.1 thus causing a conflict. all i have ever had to do is change the 2nd router (in this case the linksys) to starting ip 192.168.1.2 . no other changes should be needed, just be sure to enable wireless security on the linksys.

0 Likes